Author Topic: Skylab Meteroid Shield Anomaly Report  (Read 3822 times)

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
Skylab Meteroid Shield Anomaly Report
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:40:36 AM »
I am just reading through this document and was surprised at the "no holds barred" bollocking the engineering departments who designed the shield got. The investigation following the damage 63 seconds after launch highlights the danger in being complacent when designing elements of launch vehicle components.

Having said that, I was also amazed at the manner in which remedies were sought to get the station operational, and while the cause of the fault was uncovered, the "let's get on with it" vibe the whole report has.

One hell of a good read.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Skylab Meteroid Shield Anomaly Report
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:23:51 AM »
Yeah, things looked pretty bleak in the first few days. I remember it as it happened.

Pete Conrad used to say he was prouder of his work on the first manned Skylab mission repairing the station than of his trip to the moon.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:55:22 AM »
I can certainly see his point. Had they not rescued Skylab, I shudder to think what would have happened to NASA's budget. An amazing project well under-rated in the shadow of Apollo.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:11:17 AM »
dwight - do you have a link?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
I loathe Scribd and their ridiculous login requirements, so I managed to download a copy and mirror it here:

http://www.ka9q.net/46577306-NASA-Investigation-Board-Report-on-the-Initial-Flight-Anomalies-of-Skylab-1-May-16-1973.pdf

On the NTRS I also found a shorter summary of the same report:

http://www.ka9q.net/19930015503.pdf

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »
Thank you. I'll read it later, when I'm off work.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.