Author Topic: Vale Alan Bean  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Vale Alan Bean
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
We have far too few of these great people left. No-one from Apollo 12 left now.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Ah man another lunar traveler has died.  A12 was one of my favorite missions, landing within ~600' of the Surveyor 3 lander, bringing pieces back that had been exposed to solar radiation for close to 3 years.
So how many are left, Aldrin, Scott, Duke, and Schmitt.  Did I leave anyone out?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
Ah man another lunar traveler has died.  A12 was one of my favorite missions, landing within ~600' of the Surveyor 3 lander, bringing pieces back that had been exposed to solar radiation for close to 3 years.
So how many are left, Aldrin, Scott, Duke, and Schmitt.  Did I leave anyone out?

No :(

Of people who have orbited we still have Borman, Lovell, Anders, Stafford, Collins, Gordon, Haise, Worden, and Mattingly.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »
My God, only four of twelve are left. Hard to believe so much time has passed since they did what they did.
Am I correct that Apollo 8 is the last complete crew left?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:43:31 PM by DD Brock »

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
 -- Randall Munroe

https://www.xkcd.com/893/
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 05:10:13 AM »
He was so lovely when I saw him speak, and the emotion with which he spoke about Pete Conrad was very genuine and touching.

The audible gasp from space geeks when he described cutting up a piece of something that had been on the moon for his artwork was very funny :)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »

Of people who have orbited we still have Borman, Lovell, Anders, Stafford, Collins, Gordon, Haise, Worden, and Mattingly.

Yes those also, but I was listing the landing crew.  Bur thanks for the completed list.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline nweber

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »

Not so sure about Gordon.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter

Offline nweber

• Venus
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »

Out of the moon-faring missions, I believe that is correct.  But if you include Apollo 9, which stayed in near earth orbit, they're all still around.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 12:19:16 AM »
I'll always remember Alan Bean as the guy who knew where the "SCE" switch was...
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
I'll remember for a number of reasons:

- Doing calisthenics outside bars in Europe to help pull birds for his shipmates (Bean didn't drink)
- SCE to AUX
- The TV camera
- The lost Hasselblad timer
- the 16mm camera that bonked him on splashdown

You know, I think cameras & Beano didn't get along; maybe that's why he took up painting?  8-)

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »

Out of the moon-faring missions, I believe that is correct.  But if you include Apollo 9, which stayed in near earth orbit, they're all still around.
That's why I was asking, I wasn't sure about 9. Still, it's sad that 8 is the last left of the lunar voyagers.