Author Topic: 7/7 Conspiracy Theory  (Read 11803 times)

Offline darren r

• Earth
7/7 Conspiracy Theory
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
BBC3 is tonight showing a documentary, fronted by Irish comedian Andrew Maxwell, which aims to dispel 'misconceptions' about the 2005 London bombings. It's attracted vitriol from Daily Mail readers accusing it of 'bad taste' and 'disrespect' and using it as a stick to beat the BBC, ignoring the fact that it sets out to debunk the conspiracy theory.

Of course, it is also the focus of those who believe that, of course, it was all a conspiracy by Tony B. Liar and Nu Lie-bour to encourage support for the war in Iraq (despite the fact that none of the bombers were of Iraqi or, indeed, Middle Eastern origin).

" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: 7/7 Conspiracy Theory
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
Of course, it is also the focus of those who believe that, of course, it was all a conspiracy by Tony B. Liar and Nu Lie-bour to encourage support for the war in Iraq (despite the fact that none of the bombers were of Iraqi or, indeed, Middle Eastern origin).

But we all know that conspiracy theorists will never let the truth get in the way of their unlikely theories
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
It's attracted vitriol from Daily Mail readers accusing it of 'bad taste' and 'disrespect' and using it as a stick to beat the BBC, ignoring the fact that it sets out to debunk the conspiracy theory.
I saw a program like that on CBC called "The Third Tower", although it dealt with 9/11 conspiracy theories rather than 7/7. The problem I had with it was that although they tried to debunk the conspiracy theories, conspiracy theorists still got to appear on the program and have a platform for their offensive claims. I don't know if they were paid to appear, but I suspect they enjoyed the exposure either way. So I can understand why this sort of program bothers people.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
I saw a program like that on CBC called "The Third Tower", although it dealt with 9/11 conspiracy theories rather than 7/7. The problem I had with it was that although they tried to debunk the conspiracy theories, conspiracy theorists still got to appear on the program and have a platform for their offensive claims. I don't know if they were paid to appear, but I suspect they enjoyed the exposure either way. So I can understand why this sort of program bothers people.

I saw that one too. I'm sure they were just trying to be fair to both sides, but they did seem to go a little too easy on the conspiracy theorists.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
The programme had an interesting format, taking four people who believed in a conspiracy other than the one that really happened on a sort of road trip to examine their beliefs. They tested the plausibility of the bombers catching a train to London, splitting up on the Tube and being in the right place at the right time. Easily enough done, apparently, despite the best efforts of the group to miss the train. They were introduced to a Muslim expert on Islamic fundamentalism, a police officer who was senior at the time, a counter-terrorism expert, a survivor and a bomb-expert who constructed a device from ordinary materials (including pepper!) which blew a bus apart, despite claims that this could only be done with 'military-grade' explosives.

The, rather unexpected, result of all this was that 3 of the 4 revised their opinion that the bombers were patsies, erring more on the side of 'cock-up' rather than 'conspiracy'. One still clung to his belief that it was a vast government/military/corporate exercise to facilitate oh, I don't know. Something. But, on the whole, it seemed to me a worthwhile exercise. Now, if only we could somehow take all the Apollo Hoax Believers to the Moon and show them the proof (though not until those of us who accept its reality have been given the opportunity first!)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
Now, that sounds fascinating!  I'd love to watch that.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
Here you are (I think)

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »
I watched it. Interesting choice of people. One was from or was a member of "we are change"? Another claimed to be some form of expert (?) in one or two fields including cctv, did I hear him claim he advised police? And I would have liked to have seen his credentials backing that up. They were the two main proponents I think, the others were part timers I think so no surprises there when presented with the real deal rather than fed conspiracy only.

I did not expect Jon to change his mind from the outset. The show had potential to knock his house of cards down, it could have gone further and sat a few more experts in their way. Mr cctv was convinced so easily it makes you wonder.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
Another claimed to be some form of expert (?) in one or two fields including cctv, did I hear him claim he advised police? And I would have liked to have seen his credentials backing that up.

Yes, he was trying very hard to generate an air of mystery around himself. It was quite telling that he was astonished when the security expert told them that the bombs were crude fragmentation devices. Apparently he had never come across that information during his extensive research on the Internet.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:14 AM »
Yeah, the little argument on "logic" was funny. That young lady deserves a medal.

Logic dictates those that prattle on about logic would not know it if it bit them some where the sun does not shine.

For thos that have not seen it, one man was going on about logic says this and logic says that and it got heated when another person on the show basically said it did not know what he was talking about. Sort of.

Edit. I suspect a keyboard an internet connection would have had a different reply.

Offline ipearse

• Venus
  • There is no such thing as a stupid question
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
I  managed to miss that, but it sounds interesting. I'll catch it on iPlayer once it's loaded.
"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but we cannot live in the cradle forever" - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »
I watched the whole thing, despite my distaste for YouTube, and found it quite interesting.  I liked the part where the one woman was making stuff up and getting the guy to go, "Yes, that's very astute!"  To me, it shows a basic factor about conspiracism--so long as you're going against the official story, some people don't care what you say.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
Hmmm, they remind me of the words of Marx.
Groucho that is.