Author Topic: Enough Is Enough  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Enough Is Enough
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
I usually regard Conspiracy Theorists as mostly harmless kooks, but this bunch is getting entirely out of hand.

If you haven't heard, the latest CT seems to be that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a government "false flag" hoax designed to give the 'feds' an excuse to crack down on gun owners.

This poor guy, who looked out his window that morning to see six children - students of slain teacher Victoria Soto - sitting in his driveway...

http://tv.yahoo.com/video/sandy-hook-eyewitness-kids-were-132610776-cbs.html

... has been getting all kinds of crap from the CT community. Emails, phone calls, and a lot of YT vids where - in the usual CT practice - every word he's spoken in front of a camera has been parsed out for "deception" or "hidden meaning".

CTs have been mostly a source of amusement for me until now, but this is just disgusting.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Re: Enough Is Enough
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Yes, it is appalling.

I note our friend Heiwa believes in this CT.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
I still cannot watch coverage of this event. Even the good that many people did in response.  Conspiracy mongering is not harmless, and I am proud to be a part of a community addresses it.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »
I still cannot watch coverage of this event. Even the good that many people did in response.  Conspiracy mongering is not harmless, and I am proud to be a part of a community addresses it.

You're right, it's not.  Look at the poor girl who killed herself with weed killer because of rumours about the LHC, or the girl who killed herself after reading websites about the 2012 "apocalypse".
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
This despicable nonsense comes up after every mass shooting. Columbine, Aurora and now Sandy Hook, where confused early reports about second shooters and the types of weapon used are seized on as being the 'real' truth. It was a claim made about the Port Arthur shootings and I've even heard it suggested about the Dunblane tragedy.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »
Steve Shives says it more eloquently that I can:

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
http://memoryholeblog.com/

Blog of James Tracy, who is an Associate Professor at the School of Communication and Multimedia Studies at Florida Atlantic University.

http://www.fau.edu/scms/tracy.php

Tracy is another person who claims the Sandy Hook School massacre didn't happen as described, if at all. He also seems to subscribe to 9/11, JFK assassination and chemtrail conspiracy theories.

Seriously, I'm worried about a guy with these sorts of views teaching undergraduate uni students.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
I've never heard of Steve Shives before, but he is awesome.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
I've never heard of Steve Shives before, but he is awesome.
I'm not surprised. He does a video blog that I check in on now and then. You might find his channel to be worth a look.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »
Yeah, I've subscribed. :)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »
I just sat through it again. IMHO this one ought to be required watching for anyone who considers themself to be on the anti-CT side of the fence - if for no other reason, he makes a great cheerleader for the way I guess we all feel sometimes when confronted with aggressive ignorance.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »
I think I got a man crush now.

That was brilliant.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:22 AM »
Bang on the button after reading some of the hoax sites.

Edit. The latest one that had me fuming was the nuns were really hit men, why would I be fuming? I could be mercenary and say I am not attached to this, it was another country, didn't know the people etc etc but I am not like that. The stupidity in that comment is the topping on the bile that has accumulated over this and goes with all the crass commentary with no thought for the people directly involved, and it continues. The internet is a great place but it is also a place where the village idiots can hold a convention.

Sorry.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:30:31 AM by Tedward »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
I realized something today while reading about this idiotic Sandy Hook conspiracy theory...

The conspiracy theorists are actually agents of the Illuminati who are spreading lies about Sandy Hook in order to anger Americans enough to demand the government repeal the 1st Amendment. So don't believe those morons. ;)

There. Conspiracy theories are easy.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
Hey, you're not the only one thinking along those lines. I often tell the more out-there hoax believers that I know they're paid shills for the CIA.

The goal, of course, is make anyone who lodges even credible accusations against the CIA, such as torturing prisoners, look like a raving loony.

This especially annoys HBs like Hunchbacked who think the CIA is the root of all evil in the modern world, not just some of it.

Oh, and how do I know he's a paid shill of the CIA? His denials are all the proof needed!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:45:31 AM by ka9q »