Author Topic: New "Members Only" section  (Read 14487 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
New "Members Only" section
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I have created a new "Members Only" sub-forum in the "Hoax Theory" section of the forum. It is located here:

Apollo Discussions > The Hoax Theory > Members Only

I created it because we have had a number of people come here to stir up controversy in order to boost traffic to their own website (or their stature in the hoax community). Even after that person leaves, they will often write about our ongoing discussion on their website as if they take some kind of glory in the number of posts they generated. They don't care if we talk about them negatively, only that we are talking about them.

I hope that by moving some of these topics to a less public section of the forum these glory hounds will become less active here. That doesn't mean those people won't be able to read or participate in those threads... they will still have access to them as long as they are logged in and not banned. They just won't be able to link to the topics without forcing their readers to register with the forum.

Here are the limitations for the Members Only section:

- Only registered users who are logged into the forum will be able to read and post in this new section.
- Only I can create new topics, but anyone can reply. Topics started elsewhere can be moved to this section later.

I created the "Members Only" section specifically for discussions about the Apollo hoax theory, so it's still necessary to stay on topic.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:25:24 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: New "Members Only" section
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »
I understand the rationale for this.  It is a good intermediate between open posting and banning and locking threads.  But it is best, IMO, to maintain the site as an open to lurk forum as much as possible.  Perhaps threads can be split when the glory hounding becomes an issue but the earlier posts can remain open to all. If we are to be the Apollo hoax debunking forum of record, so to speak, we need to be as open to read as possible. 

As always, thanks for keeping this forum going and on track. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
But it is best, IMO, to maintain the site as an open to lurk forum as much as possible.

I agree, and I don't really expect to move many topics to the members only section. And it's not as if the posts totally disappear like they would if I deleted them.

Perhaps threads can be split when the glory hounding becomes an issue but the earlier posts can remain open to all.

The problem with splitting threads is that there is hardly ever a clear cut point where a split can be made cleanly. You end up having posts that are made in the original thread and responses made in the new split thread, and that can just make it difficult to follow.

If we are to be the Apollo hoax debunking forum of record, so to speak, we need to be as open to read as possible.

Absolutely. It's why I restricted the ability to start new threads to just myself. I don't want people to start "hanging out" in the members only section, that's not what it's for.

As always, thanks for keeping this forum going and on track.

You're welcome, and thank you for your input. Honestly, if it wasn't for all the great members (like you) who participate in the forum, I probably wouldn't bother with it.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:10 AM »
Great idea LO.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir