Author Topic: Apollo XIII-inconsistences  (Read 122814 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Apollo XIII-inconsistences
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
I've guessed it! ME MEMEMEMEME May I?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Online Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Just another thought about seeing the Service Module behind the Command Module...

This video is of Apollo 10, and includes a couple of sequences of film of the CSM taken from the LM. One starts at about 13:15 and the other at about 18:45. In each case the CSM is seen from nearly head on, but the viewpoint shifts enough that you can clearly see there's something behind the Command Module.

Tarkus, over to you.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2015, 02:45:33 AM »

I forsee a flounce in your immediate future, tarkus. I'm just not sure whether you will implode in a spittle-flecked tantrum or just quietly disappear once you realise that the beliefs that you are clinging to have been debunked time and time again. Again, this behaviour has been observed many times on here.

Then again, I might be completely incorrect. You might realise that this place is a place where you can actually learn a lot of stuff- stuff that is a million times more intellectually satisfying than watching ridiculous YouTube hoax videos and going "hur-hur-hur. Stupid NASA astro-nots". 

I bet that the former is more likely to happen than the latter though....

Looks like I was correct....

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1245

What a coward.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »
Ahh...so tarkus has decided to log back in.
Welcome back tarkus. Care to address any of the questions that have been directed to you?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Welcome back tarkus. Care to address any of the questions that have been directed to you?

Don't hold your breath!!!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2015, 02:56:37 AM »

Don't hold your breath!!!!

Nah...he's stealth flounced. Logged back in once, saw that his BS had been comprehensively debunked and then was too cowardly to learn something new. Nothing worse than a closed mind.  :(

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
The descent engine died during trans-earth coast. The helium burst disk blew, rendering the engine inoperative. Perhaps the ascent engine still worked? Using that would require them to jettison the descent module - and the big batteries in it.

I was not aware of this, could you provide a link?  I have searched for about an hour and can't find this information.  If the helium disk burst it must have after the 105 h mid course correction.
Then it may be somewhat obvious since the LM reaction control system was used for a tweak at the 137 h.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
It is actually referred to in the Apollo 13 movie, where they don't make a big fuss about it. It was expected to happen, because the helium tank used to pressurize the fuel tanks had heat leaking into it. The burst disk is designed as the weakest point in the system, and the helium was vented through (I believe it was 2) ports in a non-propulsive way.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »
It is actually referred to in the Apollo 13 movie, where they don't make a big fuss about it. It was expected to happen, because the helium tank used to pressurize the fuel tanks had heat leaking into it. The burst disk is designed as the weakest point in the system, and the helium was vented through (I believe it was 2) ports in a non-propulsive way.

Its right after the part about Jim Lovell's TV interview where he recounts his experience with a shorted map light in a Banshee over the Sea of Japan....

JIM LOVELL (on TV pre-flight)
- Oh, well, I'll tell you, I remember this one time. I'm... I'm in a (McDonnell F2H) Banshee at night in combat conditions, so there's no running lights on the carrier. It was the Shangri-La and we were in the Sea of Japan, and my... my radar had jammed, and my homing signal was gone because somebody in Japan was actually using the same frequency and so it was... was leading me away from where I was supposed to be. And I'm looking down at that big black ocean. So... I flip on my map light. And then suddenly zap everything shorts out right there in my cockpit, all my instruments are gone, my lights are gone, I can't even tell now what my altitude is. I know I'm running out of fuel, so I'm thinking about... about ditching in the ocean and I... I look down there and then... in... in the darkness there's this... there's this green trail, it's like a long carpet that just laid out right beneath me, and it was the algae, right. It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship and it was... it was... it was just leading me home. And... if my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I had ever been able to see that. So a... you a... you never know what... what events are gonna transpire to get you home.

JULES BERGMAN (on TV)
- Okay. Spacecraft Commander Jim Lovell, no stranger to emergency is he.

JACK SWIGERT
- How's it going, Fred.

FRED HAISE
- I'm okay.

[EXPLOSION]

JACK SWIGERT
- What the hell was that?

JIM LOVELL
- Let's hope it was just the (helium) burst disk.

JIM LOVELL
- Houston, can you confirm a burst helium disk?

ANDY (CAPCOM - WHITE)
- We confirm that, Jim.

JIM LOVELL
- Houston, is that gonna affect our entry angle at all?

ANDY (CAPCOM - WHITE)
- Negative. Your entry angle is holding at 6.24, Aquarius.

PS: anyone know if the phosphorescent algae story is true?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
I believe it's in his book, almost word for word.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2015, 02:53:59 AM »
I can confirm this. One detail the film omits is that the  instrument lights cutting out was his fault, as a little light he made attached to his knee board overloaded the circuits.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
OK, the story is true, but was the interview in the movie a remake of a real interview, or was it just some journalistic licence. I know that Jules Bergman was the real deal, a science reporter for ABC at the time.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »

I can confirm this. One detail the film omits is that the  instrument lights cutting out was his fault, as a little light he made attached to his knee board overloaded the circuits.
I can't believe I forgot that part!  That's what make the story amusing, the way he set it up.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

OK, the story is true, but was the interview in the movie a remake of a real interview, or was it just some journalistic licence. I know that Jules Bergman was the real deal, a science reporter for ABC at the time.
Don't know.  I was a huge Huntley-Brinkley/NBC News fan when I was young.  I know this is heresy, but I never liked Walter Cronkite's reporting of the program.  I also liked NBC's science reporter,  Frank McGee.  ABC always struck me as a distant third.

Besides, Gulf Oil sponsored NBC's coverage, and they had really cool commercials in those days...

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »

I can't believe I forgot that part!  That's what make the story amusing, the way he set it up.
Yeah. Though not in the first person, it's obviously a very personal story, that is both terrifying and hilarious.