Author Topic: Out of interest? Hoax claims out and about.  (Read 17657 times)

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
Out of interest? Hoax claims out and about.
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
The main N.Z. auction site occasionally gets Hoax threads. Latest here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=1123283&topic=7

Someone just linked to a hoax website I'd not seen before: [noparse]http://fakechuckwestfall.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/the-apollo-xi-one-light-photography-workshop-reloaded[/noparse]

(By "Out of interest" I just mean, there's not often a hoaxer who posts here, so just thought people might be interested to see another example of what's going on out there. The auction website I linked to is about as mainstream "Joe Average" as you can find in N.Z.; so I find it interesting to watch the forum to get an idea of what "Joe Average" is talking about.)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Out of interest? Hoax claims out and about.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
We apparently can't even read the trademe.co.nz site without registering. Is this true?

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
We apparently can't even read the trademe.co.nz site without registering. Is this true?

Darn! Sorry - I'd forgotten that. Registered members only, can access the forum.

(And it's certainly not worth doing, just to see the odd hoax claim.)

My apologies.

(I'd modify post #1 to point that out, but I've missed the time-window of opportunity to do that.)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
That's okay, I also checked out the "fakechuckwestfall" site. Wow, Canon's standards must be really low if they actually hired him as a photographic "expert".

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Well clavius.org still gets an average of 650-750 unique IP visits per day, with an as-yet unexplained spike of 1,200 visits per day on average during August 2012.  According to my SEO friend, that indicates a sustained high level of interest.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Well clavius.org still gets an average of 650-750 unique IP visits per day, with an as-yet unexplained spike of 1,200 visits per day on average during August 2012.  According to my SEO friend, that indicates a sustained high level of interest.

I posted links to clavius a couple of times in that (unavailable) thread in the OP. (Initially because one of the anti-HB people hadn't heard of the "cross hairs issue" so linked to the relevant clavius page. Made for a good resource because it lists both the claims and the answers).

Which day/s in August? Could the death of Neil Armstrong have generated a lot of general Apollo related web browsing?

One thing I was looking for: something that demonstrates (pictures/diagrams are always good) that something low-down on the Moons surface will be collecting much less light reflected off the surface than something higher up. Anyone got a good link?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:09:47 PM by pzkpfw »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »
The "The" Aldrin pic shows it well.  Although he is bending slightly at the knees which could be put out as an excuse.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »
Which day/s in August? Could the death of Neil Armstrong have generated a lot of general Apollo related web browsing?

Bingo.  I'm kind of surprised I didn't immediately think of that, mostly because I didn't realize how long ago Armstrong passed away.  But yes, the graphs pretty conclusively show a spike in the few days after his death.  (See attached)

One thing I was looking for: something that demonstrates (pictures/diagrams are always good) that something low-down on the Moons surface will be collecting much less light reflected off the surface than something higher up. Anyone got a good link?

I don't have a link specifically to that, but it's one I've been meaning to consider.  Clavius has been neglected lately, aside from brief corrections and updates.  I need to work on that.  Anyway, back to your point: the underlying physics concept is "view factor" or "configuration factor" as it applies to radiative heat transfer, and to photometry in general.  Those are the terms and contexts that are likely to lead to successful web searching.  Lambert's law also applies, and illustrations of it may prove useful.  Photometry and radiometry are the related sciences of measuring light.  Radiative heat transfer is one of the applications of the science, where the geometric relationship between emitters and absorbers has a quantitative effect on the result.  Hence if you look at discussions of how to formulate the configuration factor in heat-transfer computations (or, if you prefer a purely photometric application, in radiosity rendering algorithms), those are often illustrated with helpful diagrams.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

While they would hardly be acceptable scientifically, the effect is illustrated fairly well in the photos of Buzz Aldrin descending to the lunar surface wearing his pristine spacesuit, AS11-40-5862 to 5869, although non-photographers might have trouble seeing it.  Keep in mind that these photos have been manipulated to make Buzz clearly visible -- in unmanipulated versions he is darker from underexposure of the film.  But compare his upper body with his lower legs and boots.  The boots get darker as he descends, while his upper body remains fairly consistent.

The last photo, AS11-40-5869, shows it best, where only the shiny blue boot heels are visible, most likely from the sunlight bouncing of Neil Armstrong's suit.

Note also the view factor that JayUtah mentions.  Any surface that is facing more toward the surface gets more light, and any that's facing toward the sky gets less.  Compare Buzz's calves and backs of his thighs in 5869. Also compare the back, sides and bottom of his PLSS in a few of the photos.

Also in AS11-40-5862, 63, 64 and 66, the highlights on the ladder rungs get brighter from bottom to top as they "see" more of the surface.

Read the captions at the ALSJ for more detail about the photos.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:44:22 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Lambert's law also applies, and illustrations of it may prove useful. 
It gets complicated because the moon is most definitely not a Lambertian reflector. Light is scattered much more strongly back along the direction it came, as we can see from earth during a full moon when it is much more than twice as bright as a half moon. This is variously known as the "opposition effect" or the "zero phase effect".

The effect is even stronger than you might think from the brightness of the full moon because the only time the moon's illumination phase as seen from earth is actually zero is during an eclipse of the moon -- and then we're in the way. You'd get a similar effect from the shadow of an object standing on the surface, but depending on the geometry the shadow may or may not significantly decrease the backscatter.

Like I said, it gets complicated. You pretty much need a complete 360 degree photo pan of the surface from the location in question. Then you need to numerically integrate over the whole thing to determine how much light falls on you from each direction. And of course it will change as the sun continues to slowly move over the scene.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
Correct, the Moon is not Lambertian.  But explanations of Lambert's law include discussions and diagrams of how the aspect of the reflector (i.e., its solid angle) as seen by the receiver determines the amount of light it reflects to that receiver.  That was the question:  how to illustrate the effect of aspect.

As for the Moon's peculiar property as a retroreflector, the diagrams used by Torrance and Sparrow may be helpful.  Their illumination models were based on reflectivity as a function of spherical trigonometry (x,y,u,v) formulation of angles of incidence and the view angle.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
As for the Moon's peculiar property as a retroreflector,
Be careful calling the moon a retroreflector. I already know of several hoaxers (hunchbacked among them) who claim that the natural lunar surface can account for the returns seen from lunar laser ranging.

Arguments about the short (1 ns) widths of the return pulses proving the existence of small (< 1 m), highly reflective and therefore artificial objects on the lunar surface go right over their heads because they are completely unable to understand quantitative arguments.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Good caution to take, as I've also been bitten by that sort of claim.  But facts are facts, regardless of whether they work rhetorically for or against us.  To me, "retroreflector" is just the appropriate shorthand for "Light is scattered much more strongly back along the direction it came."  They are equivalent concepts, one just stated more succinctly than the other.

Indeed we must discuss retroreflection in order to explain the lighting in the Apollo photographs.  We must demonstrate retroreflection in order to show that the effect exists and accounts for what we see on the shaded sides of objects on the Moon.  That's basic photometry.  There is no way to do that without putting the idea in the minds of hoax claimants that retroreflection alone accounts for the laser returns from the corner-cube retroreflectors.  Yes, it is "messy" to make the appropriate arguments that invoke location and strength of the return signal, but that's the right way to do it, in my opinion, as opposed to trying to be two-faced, deceptive, or evasive about the actual retroreflective properties of the lunar surface.  Hoax claimants won't care one way or another, but you maintain your scientific integrity.

In my opinion Mythbusters did it right.  They aimed the laser at some random part of the lunar surface and showed the "no return" condition.  Then they aimed at the LRRR and got back the measurably stronger signal.  Granted not all of us can do that demonstration.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
Amazingly (or not so amazingly) He Who Must Not Be Named took strong exception to the Mythbusters' demonstration at Apache Peak. He claimed that since, long ago, MIT used a different laser and different telescope to catch echos off the bare lunar surface, the APOLLO demo proved nothing.

Again, quantitative arguments would quickly settle all this but they are completely over the hoaxers heads. In fact, I believe a defining feature of the conspiracist crackpot is an almost complete innumeracy. This certainly goes for every Apollo denier I've ever encountered, and I believe it goes for many other conspiracists as well, if for no reason than many of them subscribe to just about every conspiracy theory they find.

I just finished Among the Truthers and this is a point the author also makes: conspiracists come in all kinds, and about the only thing you can say about them in general is that belief in one conspiracy theory is strongly correlated with belief in another (or many).

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »
Amazingly (or not so amazingly) He Who Must Not Be Named took strong exception to the Mythbusters' demonstration at Apache Peak. He claimed that since, long ago, MIT used a different laser and different telescope to catch echos off the bare lunar surface, the APOLLO demo proved nothing.

I think he might be getting confused between Laser and Radar (I have already seen that he doesn't understand Radar from discussions I have had with him about tracking spacecraft on orbit)

Back in the 1960's and early 1970's,  Gordon Pettengill used MIT's Haystack Observatory to bounce radar signals off the Moon. He also used Arecibo (Cornell) for that same task, as well as the first radar studies of the asteroid Icarus.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.