Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope  (Read 71787 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
Took this picture today....

Some people have all the luck! Does that mean you'll be changing your username to
STS60-JWST?
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Took this picture today....  JWST at Goddard, with vibration and acoustic testing completed, prior to departing for JSC.  Next up, thermal/vac testing at JSC's Chamber A, in which the Apollo CSM stack was tested.

Nice job to get to see these items up close an personal.  Here's hoping all the tests work out an JWST has no issues.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
JWST has passed the cryogenic tests

https://jwst.nasa.gov/recentaccomplish.html

Still looking for launch in 2019.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
And the launch slips again.
https://www.universetoday.com/139549/good-news-james-webb-is-still-a-go-bad-news-launching-in-2021/
Well, someone's calculated the actual launch date :

At the rate of accomplishments that may be more accurate.  We shall see.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
I, for one, would prefer they do it all properly and not take things for granted or skip over any testing, and if that means delays, then so be it. We have all seen what could happen if they slip up, and for this one, they will get no second chances. There won't be any repair missions to Earth-Sun L2.

NOTE: For anyone who doesn't understand what I'm talking about here, Google the phrase "Perkin Elmer Hubble Mirror"!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:05:03 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Eugene Cernan

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2019, 06:58:44 PM »
If it fails there wont be any telescope of this scale in 50 years.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Eugene Cernan

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
I'd rather see them testing vigorously and thoroughly than succumbing to time pressure, skipping tests and ending up "doing a Hubble". This beast will be at L2.... for all intents and purposes, unreachable if the slightest thing goes wrong. There will be no JWST Repair Missions if that happens.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.