Author Topic: Gemini 11  (Read 11574 times)

Offline Aarontg

• Mercury
Gemini 11
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Hey guys,I have a question:Didn't Gemini 11 go into the Van Allen belt?I know that they reached an altitude of 850 miles.I don't think that they felt any ill effects.Also,I know that Gemini 10 reached an altitude of 475 miles into the Van Allen belts and felt no ill effects.Anyway, let me know.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Gemini 11
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »
When all else fails, this should be your "go to" site....

http://www.clavius.org/bibfunny2.html

Scroll down to the last photo and the accompanying text.

Also, more interesting reading

http://www.clavius.org/envrad.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:49:11 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »
Generally, if conspiracy theorists are aware of these missions at all, they just claim they are fake too as a matter of course. ::)

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
I don't think that they felt any ill effects.
The astronauts on Gemini 10 and 11 were John Young, Michael Collins, Dick Gordon and Pete Conrad. It might be worth mentioning that three of them are still alive. Conrad is not, but his death (at age 69) was accidental and can't be attributed to radiation.

Just curious, but is your space bar broken or something?
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

Just curious, but is your space bar broken or something?

What he means is, it is proper to include a <space> after each comma and period and other punctuation. It makes the text more readable.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »
I don't think that they felt any ill effects.
The astronauts on Gemini 10 and 11 were John Young, Michael Collins, Dick Gordon and Pete Conrad. It might be worth mentioning that three of them are still alive. Conrad is not, but his death (at age 69) was accidental and can't be attributed to radiation.

And all of them had further doses of "deadly" van Allen radiation

John Young - Apollo 10 & 16
Michael Collins - Apollo 11
Dick Gordon - Apollo 12
Pete Conrad - Apollo 12
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »
I bet Pete Conrad got more radiation on his Skylab mission than on his Gemini or Apollo missions. Skylab was in a high inclination orbit and the missions were all much longer, both of which increased the total dose.

This would be even more so for Alan Bean, since his Skylab 3 mission was longer than Pete's Skylab 2.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:51:37 AM by ka9q »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
Yep, he did.  And this is what people don't understand about radiation:  a prolonged drizzle of it is more hazardous in the long run than a quick dose, even if it's higher.

The Gemini missions did not venture into the deepest, most intense regions of the Van Allen belts.  But then neither did the Apollo missions.  Nevertheless hoax believers who know of the Gemini missions try to argue that they didn't go deep enough into the Van Allen belts to know for sure they were passable, or to qualify as manned missions into them.  That's all red herring, given the actual Apollo trajectories.  Further, the model of the belts was derived from countless sounding rockets and from theory, not from the few Gemini missions.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Aarontg

• Mercury
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
Hey Thanx for all the info.BTW, I have been to clavius.org

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Yep, he did.  And this is what people don't understand about radiation:  a prolonged drizzle of it is more hazardous in the long run than a quick dose, even if it's higher.

Just so.  A lot of people don't seem to get the fact that the body heals itself after an exposure.  The 'drizzle' exposure doesn't allow for time to heal.

It's sort of like scuba diving: in a given period of time, a single deep dive is less hazardous than several relatively shallow dives.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
Just so.  A lot of people don't seem to get the fact that the body heals itself after an exposure.  The 'drizzle' exposure doesn't allow for time to heal.

Object lesson this weekend at the Utah Shakespeare Festival.  A light drizzle fell, and drenched us by the end of the play.  USF employs a Globe-like outdoor theater.  And the play was The Tempest, which made for some amusement.

But yes, the body can repair itself after a brief strong jolt, which affects the tissues you have at that moment.  A "drizzle" of radiation may do less damage, but renews that damage all through the healing process by constant dosage absorption.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »
Not to mention that a long duration mission is much more likely to encounter a sudden 'storm', like the one that occurred between Apollo 16 and 17.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
Not to mention that a long duration mission is much more likely to encounter a sudden 'storm', like the one that occurred between Apollo 16 and 17.

Indeed by all estimates if the Apollo astronauts had encountered that particular event the crew would have been seriously sickened or even incapacitated.