Author Topic: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch  (Read 123265 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
What you say...

None of that irrelevant rant makes a dent in what she says, nor in what I said in response.  Your claims regarding Apollo are patently self-contradictory, and all you have to say about that boils down to "Well, that's just the way it is."  If you want this forum to take you seriously, you need to provide something more substantial than Alex-Jones-style spewage.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »
Hi Jay,

Just to be clear I am not part of some flat earth, ufo loving, conspiracy bat crazy brigade. I am just a polite, peaceful Canadian :) looking to have a dialectic discourse on some questions I have. Whether the landings were real or not really don't mean much in the end. It is not going to change our lives one way or another. I just find it a fascinating subject. And I am not here to crush people's love of the subject or their idols. And to that end, believe it or not, I think Armstrong is one of the most decent, complex, and interesting individuals I have come across. Whether he actually went to the moon or faked it for his country, I would have loved to hang out with that guy. JR.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
Hi Gillianren,

What you say does make sense if you believe people in this world operate as one expects. But this world doesn't always operate this way. Overt, blatant, caught on film actions of governments such as the Saudi murder of the Washington Post columnist or literally 40 Mossad agents conspiring to kill a Hamas leader in a hotel barely creates a peep from governments even unfriendly governments. Why is that? And that is overt, blatant actions, what about less obvious actions? Hmmm... Hell you can have a complete genocide of millions of Rwandans and all countries become blind, deaf and dumb. To this day, you would probably be hard pressed to find even get 1 American in 100 that can tell you that Rwanda is even a country let alone the atrocity that went on. And you wonder how 6 or 7 fake manned flights to the moon might have been glossed over by other countries? Not saying it happened but countries, don't kid yourself, operate in ways we will never understand. So remember when Russia states they didn't shoot that Ukrainian passenger airline out of the air, they really didn't, wink wink, nudge nudge because the US government would have been all over them.

This is a bit OT and I have no idea if you are American and going from personal experience, but we discussed the Rwandan genocide for several days in High School world history. I think your "1 in 100" number is probably too pessimistic. But even if Americans are largely ignorant of historical events, there is a clear historical record that those events happened, that can be verified by anyone.

But in any case, on what planet are these arguments that a hoax on the scale of Apollo was feasible? Saudi Arabia can't get away with a single murder so therefore Apollo was fake??

ETA, just saw your last post. North American, got it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:55:26 PM by VQ »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #528 on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Just to be clear...

Nothing about what follows is a clarification.  You're simply trying to tell people you're one thing while you behave like something else.  You're trying to schmooze your way out of being repeatedly called on that misbehavior.

I am not part of some flat earth, ufo loving, conspiracy bat crazy brigade.

Your behavior is indistinguishable from theirs.  When cornered on the implausibility or downright factual incorrectness of your claims and beliefs, you simply spew nonsensical conspiracy-minded drivel.  In any case, that there may exist points of view and behaviors farther out on the fringe does not mean you're entitled to be excused for yours.  If you are unwilling to take intellectual responsibility for the truth or falsity of your beliefs, you will not get much respect here.

I am just ... looking to have a dialectic discourse on some questions I have.

No.  Today especially you have provided ample evidence that you have no interest in an honest dialogue.  None of your behavior is consistent with an honest exchange of ideas or an honest test of your beliefs.  Your questions have been amply answered.  You reject the answers, insult the people who volunteered for them, sneer at people who know things you don't, and insist that your ongoing ignorance be respected as erudition.  I can't imagine who you think you're fooling.

Whether the landings were real or not really don't mean much in the end.

Of course it matters.  The truth always matters.  And when it's a truth that, for many, defined a decade if not a century, it matters even more.  It stands as an example of what people can accomplish if they are well-qualified, well-funded, and well-led.  You are pulling out all the stops to find fault with it, so it clearly matters to you that it should be disbelieved.  And no, you don't get to excuse your misguided attacks by insisting that your target is unimportant.  That's just a common pre-flounce rhetoric; you feel better abound abandoning a debate that you've lost if you can convince yourself it didn't matter in the first place.

It is not going to change our lives one way or another.

You clearly don't believe that, because you classify faked-Apollo along with a whole bunch of other occurrences you say exemplify inhumanity, dishonesty, and corruption on an international scale.  As Gillianren correctly specified, you can't make a coherent, consistent argument to save your life.

I just find it a fascinating subject.

No.  The regulars here, whom you try to write off as ideologues, are curious and fascinated by the subject.  Instead, you grasp at every straw trying to demean and discredit it.  Even when posting "inadvertently," you simply bounce from one desperate hoax argument to the next.  You think that by attacking it, you will appear erudite and sophisticated -- "woke."  Nobody is buying that.

And I am not here to crush people's love of the subject or their idols.

No.  Writing off your critics as idol-worshipers doesn't help you.  People here defend Apollo not because the people involved are their "idols" but because they honestly care for what's true.  You claim you are respectful, but you can't resist all the little digs against your critics.  Therefore no one is obliged to treat you as friendly.

Now quit trying to curry favor with your critics.  Quit trying to pretend you're aligned with them.  Get on with answering the pertinent questions -- in this thread, those that regard your attacks on the legitimacy of the lunar module.  We're tired of this insincere posturing that's taken up most of your posting today.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:45:25 PM by JayUtah »

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #529 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »
Hi VQ,

Judging by your comments you are youngster who wasn't around in the 60's and 70's. Yes, it is probably much harder to pull the wool over peoples eye's now than it was then. Access to information for the average individual (even country) is like night and day compared to 50 years ago. But even today, with reams of information at people's fingertips countries are able to "bury" anything if they really want to. You have to remember Countries, Press etc have mandates and agendas, (even posters here as Jay points out :) ) and they will direct the discussion what ever way they feel fit. And when that happens, people are left at the fringes to mumble about what they believe is really going on.

And getting back to the 60's, do you know the networks did not have a direct feed to the moon landings? They literally had to record the footage off a video monitor. Talk about access to information.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #530 on: April 03, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
But even today, with reams of information at people's fingertips countries are able to "bury" anything if they really want to.

No.  The topics you're bringing up in your misguided attack are not things that can simply be held secret by NASA or by some single government.  You claimed the lunar module would be inherently unstable if the thrust axis weren't perfectly maintained.  You claimed the plume deflectors would make them even more unstable.  You may be unaware of linearized free-body dynamics, but it is no secret to the rest of the world.  You claimed the SM reaction control thrusters would be endangered by the slipstream on the ascent.  You may be unaware of the detailed mechanics of flow separation, but it is no secret to the rest of the world.

The Apollo missions are widely studied in engineering and science schools all over the world.  The principles upon which the missions were based are well-known and cannot be lied about without consequence.  You need to get used to the idea that some questions do have right and wrong answers, no matter what you might choose to believe instead.  Not everything can be credibly lied about, and your arguments are rife with those things.

And when that happens, people are left at the fringes to mumble about what they believe is really going on.

No matter what the facts say, there will always be people mumbling on the fringes.  Right now you're quite clearly painting yourself as one of those.  You have shown yourself to be impervious to fact, not just innocently ignorant of it.  And right now we can't even keep you on one subject.  You seem to be eager to bring up all manner of new topics, probably because you have figured out that you can't bluff your way past the ones in this thread.  The regulars here -- those who are truly interested and curious about space travel -- have proven themselves to be far better informed than you on almost every topic you raise.  All you appear to have left is muttering on the fringe.  In your rush to pontificate about access to information, you aren't dealing well with everyone else here clearly being more informed than you.

And getting back to the 60's, do you know the networks did not have a direct f[ed to the moon landings? They literally had to record the footage off a video monitor...

You're changing the subject again.  If you want to talk about the slow-scan converter, start a new thread on it.  This thread is about your ignorant claims regarding the lunar module, which you are clearly unable and unwilling to defend.

By the way, before you start that television thread you might well be warned that one of our regulars literally wrote the book on the history of Apollo television.  Are you confident that you have your facts in order?  Or, like everyone else, are you just pilfering predigested tidbits from the conspiracy web sites and pretending that this makes you "really smart?"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:17:15 PM by JayUtah »

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #531 on: April 04, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »
Jay,

I am not trying to wind you up. Dial it back, please. Its not worth it. Its not like we are on National TV debating. It is a conversation with like only 10 of us talking among ourselves. I get your passion and your frustration of guys like me. But I am meaningless in the end. I love to debate ( as you can see :) ) but I want it to be a healthy debate where we can still have a beer together at the end of the day. Sometimes people will just agree to disagree on things. That's life.

Truth to me is always a moving target. What is true today, might not be true tomorrow. Creationist vs evolutionist.  Atheism vs religion. Science vs science fiction. Or put another way, in the immortal words of Captain Kirk himself,"all science is science fiction". In other words, nobody has a monopoly on truth. And one's views should be tempered with that thought. And if you follow that, as I do, I never take anything so serious it clouds my judgement and empathy about others and their thoughts. Regards JR.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #532 on: April 04, 2019, 12:14:22 AM »
I am not trying to wind you up. Dial it back, please.

Stop trying to shame people away from criticizing your arguments.  If you cannot rise to the rigor of the debate you started, man up and admit it.

I get your passion and your frustration of guys like me.

Passion less so than frustration.  And not frustration so much as despair at the sheer arrogance you insist on displaying.  No, I will not indulge your hubris.  And no, I will not "dial back" my criticism.  You are treading on my profession, with a plethora of ignorant claims.  You will either rise to the appropriate rigor or I will hand you your head.  I work in a profession whose qualifying exam is 13 hours long.  I work in a profession in which I am literally legally liable for the strength of my findings.  I work in a profession where my skill is something I ask people to trust their lives to.  You're questioning one of the seminal events in that profession.  Do you think I have the least bit of patience for your ignorant waffling?  If you want to play engineer, do it somewhere else.

I want it to be a healthy debate where we can still have a beer together at the end of the day.

We are not friends.  It is not my goal to have a beer with you.  It is my goal to test your claims against our best knowledge.  This is a forum where hoax claims are presented, debated, and tested.  You have a right to be treated civilly.  You do not have a right to curry favor in order to dissuade criticism.

If you are not up to the challenge, just leave.  Don't try to convert this to a touchy-feely exercise where your arrogance is simply disregarded.

Sometimes people will just agree to disagree on things. That's life.

No, there are such things as facts.  You have grossly misrepresented those that bear on your beliefs and the arguments you're presenting in favor of them.  I will not indulge you in that.

You've spent the whole day in frantic attempts at social engineering.  I take this to mean you have no response to the evisceration of your claims regarding the lunar module.  Am I correct?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #533 on: April 04, 2019, 01:24:45 AM »
I love to debate ( as you can see :) )

No, you don't. Or rather you don't understand where debate is appropriate and where it is not. Moral and ethical and political issues are open for debate. The facts around the physics of space flight, fluid dynamics, engineering and other such Apollo-related subjects that you started this discussion on are not.

but I want it to be a healthy debate where we can still have a beer together at the end of the day.

No-one is interested in having a beer with you. And you have been told how a healty debate works. One element of it involves conceding where you have made errors of facts, or where you are challenged to support your assertions but cannot. Neither of those has been forthcoming from you in any significant manner.

Sometimes people will just agree to disagree on things. That's life.

That's true where there is reasonable ground for thinking both sides may have merit. Designers of things like the LM don't 'agree to disagree' on the physics of how it works. Reality doesn't allow that.

Truth to me is always a moving target. What is true today, might not be true tomorrow. Creationist vs evolutionist.  Atheism vs religion. Science vs science fiction.

No, that is not a collection of examples of changing truth.

In other words, nobody has a monopoly on truth. And one's views should be tempered with that thought. And if you follow that, as I do, I never take anything so serious it clouds my judgement and empathy about others and their thoughts.

Waffle. Get back to dealig with the questions directly put to you. Once again I will ask you to show how that memo you brought to the discussion supports your argument about the LM stability, and where the second 'more detailed' paper that shows the RCS system needed perfect balance to work is. People here are not fooled or distracted by your pointless drivel about truth and debate. You brought things here to support your arguments, so stand by them or else retract the claim. THAT is how a reasoned debate on the subjects you claim to want to talk about actually works.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #534 on: April 04, 2019, 01:42:04 AM »
No, you don't. Or rather you don't understand where debate is appropriate and where it is not. Moral and ethical and political issues are open for debate. The facts around the physics of space flight, fluid dynamics, engineering and other such Apollo-related subjects that you started this discussion on are not.

I'll subscribe to this.  Was Apollo a good idea, politically speaking?  That's a debatable subject.  Did Apollo fulfill its objectives?  That's a debatable subject.  Did the flow separate at the CM-SM boundary or at the individual SM RCS quads?  That is not.  Was the LM unstable because of the plume deflectors?  That is not.  Knowing how to debate the debatable topics is important.  Trying to debate matters of objective fact simply brands one as a crackpot.

No-one is interested in having a beer with you. And you have been told how a healty debate works. One element of it involves conceding where you have made errors of facts, or where you are challenged to support your assertions but cannot. Neither of those has been forthcoming from you in any significant manner.

This is very important.  Our claimant wants to levy material challenges at the legitimacy of the Apollo missions.  But when the rebuttals start coming in, only then does he want this to be a friendly banter among drinking buddies.  No.  That's just a fairly common tactic for defusing criticism.

Designers of things like the LM don't 'agree to disagree' on the physics of how it works. Reality doesn't allow that.

In engineering, reality vigorously bitch-slaps us if we get things wrong.  This is why I have no patience for the kind of posturing Jr Knowing is attempting. If he cannot rise to the rigor of the sciences he is invoking, then he deserves no attention.  I absolutely will not apologize for holding his feet to the fire.  Success in the professions that apply to space exploration requires stoking that fire to utmost.

Waffle. Get back to dealig with the questions directly put to you.

Agreed.  All we've seen lately from Jr Knowing is shameless posturing.  He has raised concerns about the engineering of the lunar module.  It's obvious at this point he's incapable of supporting those concerns.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #535 on: April 04, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
Leaving aside that I don't drink beer, I don't participate in friendly activities with people who call me either stupid or a liar.  And if the Apollo record is as shoddily faked as all that, I've got to be one or the other to accept it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #536 on: April 04, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »
This thread has covered, and attempted to recover, several loosely related topics.  Summarizing it in the hopes of getting it back on track is problematic.

The suspicion raised regarding different appearance of the lunar module during various stages of construction, integration, checkout, and flight seems based on a premise that its configuration should be "locked off" at some point apparently prior to stacking/integration, and certainly prior to rollout.  This premise was not substantiated, and has been thoroughly rebutted by ample evidence.  Jr Knowing's rejoinder has been lately simply to restate the original argument and allude to the original premise as if it was never challenged.

The suspicion raised regarding modifying the lunar module after rollout seems based on two largely unstated premises: first that it was not possible to do that, and second that it was inadvisable to do that.  The former has been conclusively refuted.  It is simply factually incorrect, as evidenced in a plethora of sources.  The second requires more discussion, since it touches on several subsequent questions specifically pertaining to the RCS plume deflectors.  It is substantiated that certain operations that could be classified as assembly, integration, and checkout were due to be performed on the pad with the LM in the SLA, and that engineered tooling was provided to facilitate this.  The question whether that can extend to ad hoc installations such as additional footpad insulation or RCS plume deflectors seems moot.  The documented tooling was generalized for all manner of work inside the SLA.  Jr Knowing provides no evidence that the RCS plume deflectors and the associated insulation cannot have been installed on the LM while it was in the SLA.

We can separate that from the question of adding the plume deflectors to the design at all, regardless of when or where they were installed.  Jr Knowing has asserted several propositions along those lines.  He states one premise that the LM DPS axis must be maintained precisely, else the LM becomes uncontrollable.  The relevant science here is free-body dynamics.  The most common way of employing free-body dynamics is to linearize the effects on dynamic stability and solve the relevant matrices for moment, moment of inertia, and error rate.  Jr Knowing has not done this to substantiate his DPS axis argument.  Likewise he has asserted that the LM RCS must function perfectly in order to maintain stability.  This is similarly unsubstantiated.  Jr Knowing says it is suspicious that RCS failures prior to Apollo 11 were not considered when adding the plume deflectors.  This was thoroughly addressed, and he did not rejoin.  Instead, he claims that "peer-reviewed" documents from the design team substantiate his claims of instability.  He presented only one document, a memorandum, and failed to address the free-body dynamics discussion it contained that refuted his claim as it related to the plume deflectors.  He then claimed a separate documented existed, which he has not produced.

In other RCS news, Jr Knowing claimed it was suspicious that the SM jets were not provided with a fairing to protect them during the ascent.  He did not respond to requests that he quantify or characterize the expected degree of risk or damage.  When confronted with the fact that the high-energy flow separated at the CM-SM joint, he confessed to not knowing what that was.  This became a problem later when he mistook the condensation field evident in some separated flows as the flow itself.  Then he claimed, with no support such as a Prandtl diagram, that the flow actually separated at the RCS quads themselves.

The open issues requiring Jr Knowing's action seem to be:
  • The premise that the LM should have some specific appearance throughout all or many stages of preparation for flight should be substantiated with evidence, or in the alternative should be conceded and the argument that depends upon it withdrawn.
  • The premise that the LM cannot have been worked on after integration and rollout must be substantied, or in the alternative it should be conceded and the dependent conclusion withdrawn.
  • The premise that the LM is inherently unstable due to off-axis DPS thrust has not been substantiated or withdrawn.
  • His claim of inherent LM instability must be reconciled with the free-body dynamics evidence disputing it, or in the alternative withdrawn.
  • The specific claim of instability under autopilot, due to the plume deflector, must be reconciled with the documentation describing it, or in the alternative withdrawn.
  • The promised additional documentation of LM instability must be produced, or the claims made according to it must be withdrawn.
  • Jr Knowing's previous confession of ignorance in flow dynamics must be reconciled with his attempt to analyze the flow separation near the top of the vehicle.  The foundation for such an analysis on his part was not laid.
  • A technical argument showing the RCS quads are responsible for the flow separation evident near the top of the stack, and not the CM-SM boundary as would be immediately obvious, must be provided; in the alternative, the claim must be withdrawn.

That's quite a list of open questions.  What are the chances we'll get movement on any of them, instead of another day of shameless social engineering foibles?

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
Hi Jay,

Just to be clear I am not part of some flat earth, ufo loving, conspiracy bat crazy brigade. I am just a polite, peaceful Canadian :) looking to have a dialectic discourse on some questions I have.

Well, since I'm also Canadian I feel the only appropriate thing to do is to apologize to everybody here for my fellow countrymen's discourteous, dishonest behavior and blatant trolling as well as his refusal to answer most questions put to him plus his obvious inability to admit to being wrong about most of his pet theories that have been blown out of the water.

Which reminds me jr, mind explaining were you got that $50,000 per lb of weight eliminated figure from and also explain why it differs so much from Tom Kelly's "Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module" book that states the bonus was set at $10,000 per lb of weight reduction?

and 

I'll ask you again for the third time to come up with plausible explanations for the Apollo 16 House Rock video including how they could fake the science of kinematics that would be capable of fooling experts in that field from around the world for the past 5 decades who have examined the live TV broadcast footage to validate the fact that those astronauts and lunar rovers interaction with the regolith is in a vacuum and a 1/6th G environment. Plus there's the science of telecommunications and the experts in that field will tell you that it would have been impossible to fake hours of live TV broadcasts that clearly shows them in a vacuum and 1/6th G plus video footage of what is obviously taken from some much higher elevations during the 3 J-missions.

No surprise at all to hear your on the other side. I didn't believe for one second when you said you thought there was a 99% chance the landings actually happened.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #538 on: April 04, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
Jay,

I am not trying to wind you up.
Yes you are. Your problem is that you did not expect the vast range of subject matter expertise here.

Dial it back, please.
Facts are facts. One cannot dial them back, nor big them up. They are facts.

Its not worth it. Its not like we are on National TV debating. It is a conversation with like only 10 of us talking among ourselves.
It is worth it. This here is one of the top hits for Apollo Hoax malarkey. We collectively have a responsibility to ensure BS like yours does not go unchallenged. What is it you actually want? You want us to "dial it back" so that you can create the illusion that there even is a debate. Well, no soup for you. There is no debate.

I get your passion and your frustration of guys like me.
Frustrated? No. More astonished that anyone could possibly be so disconnected from reality.

But I am meaningless in the end.
Yup.

I love to debate ( as you can see :) ) but I want it to be a healthy debate where we can still have a beer together at the end of the day. Sometimes people will just agree to disagree on things. That's life.
There is nothing healthy about propagating lies and I would not share anything with anyone who willingly does so.

Truth to me is always a moving target. What is true today, might not be true tomorrow. Creationist vs evolutionist.  Atheism vs religion. Science vs science fiction. Or put another way, in the immortal words of Captain Kirk himself,"all science is science fiction". In other words, nobody has a monopoly on truth. And one's views should be tempered with that thought. And if you follow that, as I do, I never take anything so serious it clouds my judgement and empathy about others and their thoughts. Regards JR.
Good grief. Your philosophical source is Star Trek.

Well guess what. Most of us here are qualified in the fields in which you hold forth. That means we can spot and point out the egregious BS of any poster immediately. Your downfall was really your assumption that we were all as ignorant as you apparently are.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »
Well, since I'm also Canadian I feel the only appropriate thing to do is to apologize to everybody here for my fellow countrymen's discourteous, dishonest behavior and blatant trolling as well as his refusal to answer most questions put to him plus his obvious inability to admit to being wrong about most of his pet theories that have been blown out of the water.

Rest assured my image of Canadians is portrayed more by Col. Hadfield than by Jr Knowing.

Since he's abandoned this thread (again) to go jump up and down on Wernher von Braun's grave, I think it's safe to say he knows he can't rehabilitate any of his engineering-type arguments here.  So we can declare his claims rejected.  Strange: someone who claims he wants friendly discourse -- and is, you know, Canadian -- would be expected at least to come back and say, "I guess you guys know this stuff better than me, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt."  Instead he seems to prefer slinking away quietly.  More face-saving than honest discourse, I'd say.