Author Topic: Have the kooks starting using the film Gravity...  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Have the kooks starting using the film Gravity...
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
...as proof that anything in space can be "perfectly" faked yet? Just wondering.

(Also the above clip is awesome)  :P
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
Re: Have the kooks starting using the film Gravity...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:02:19 AM »
Check out the various reviews that complain about how the film gets orbital mechanics wrong.  The film only proves how very hard it is to fake anything that can actually fool the experts.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
I haven't seen it yet...I still have to steel myself to ignore the errors so I can enjoy the movie. It won't be easy...

I understand there are "issues" aside from the physics. A tour guide at the JSC neutral buoyancy training facility showed us what real astronauts wear under their spacesuits (liquid cooling garments) and pointed out that it's quite different from what Sandra Bullock wears in the movie. And he reported that the astronauts guffawed at the "getting to know you" dialog between the astronauts. By the time you actually fly, you've trained, lived, worked, traveled and played intensively with your fellow crew for years and know them very well.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
By the time you actually fly, you've trained, lived, worked, traveled and played intensively with your fellow crew for years and know them very well.

And partied at the Astronaut Beach House.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
Neil deGrasse Tyson pointed out (among other things) that Bullock's hair does not move/suspend correctly for zero-g. This movie is visually stunning but still would not stand up to technical scrutiny if presented as reality.

The "plot holes" part isn't by itself much of an argument against this filming technology being used in a conspiracy, since presumably the conspirators would create fake film of plausible events.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
A tour guide at the JSC neutral buoyancy training facility showed us what real astronauts wear under their spacesuits (liquid cooling garments) and pointed out that it's quite different from what Sandra Bullock wears in the movie.

Understatement alert. ;)

I seem to recall a conversation, either here or on another forum, about how difficult it is to get in or out of a space suit alone. I think the context was whether the station-bound astronaut of a three person crew would be able to get into a suit and assist if needed during a spacewalk contingency on the ISS.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »
Unless said person has already prepared for an EVA, it wouldn't matter if they could put on suits unassisted. Because the ISS uses regular sea-level air, astronauts have to go through a tedious procedure in which they breathe pure O2 and exercise while the pressure is slowly reduced to let the N2 slowly escape from their tissues. If someone just put on a suit and went out the airlock, there's a good chance they'd get the bends.

One of the big advantages of the pure, low pressure O2 environment on Apollo was that it made EVAs very simple, at least by comparison. Too bad it's such a fire hazard.

According to http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/eva/outside.html, the protocol is:

1. Breathe pure O2 at sea level pressure (14.7 psi, 101 kPa).
2. Exercise for 10 minutes.
3. Rest for 40 minutes
4. Drop ambient pressure to 10.2 psi (70 kPa) over 30 minutes
5. Don suit
6. Wait 60 minutes
7. Decompress chamber, presumably while dropping suit pressure to operational level

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:30:20 PM by ka9q »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
And they forgot to put in the stars.

Again.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:44:04 AM »
Going to ask about the stars....

I understand Bullock is in it, any real stars....

Oh matron, I shouldn't.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
Depends upon your standards; I think George Clooney is in it too.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
I have picked up on some conspiritards using the movie "Apollo 18" as confirmation of the Apollo landings being faked! In actual fact, Apollo 18 is probably the best evidence to show that the Apollo programme was real and that the landings were not faked. With all the advanced CGI and SFX technology available in 2011, they STILL failed dismally to get the vaccuum+1/6th gravity aspects to look right.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:53:29 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »
I'm more weirded out by the people who seem to think Apollo 18 was real...
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:46:32 AM »

Well, it was real actually, but it just never went ahead

Originally it was planned with a crew of Richard Gordon, Vance Brand and Harrison Schmitt, and was to land at Schroter's Valley. Then NASA cancelled Apollo 20, and the site was reviewed to the crater Gassendi. Then they cancelled it and Apollo 19 due to congressional appropriation cuts.

The only thing remaining from Apollo 18 was that due to pressure from the scientific community, geologist Harrison Schmitt was moved onto the Apollo 17 crew, replacing Joe Engle as LM pilot. Vance Brand went on to crew Apollo-Soyuz with Thomas Stafford and Deke Slayton, and he also flew three shuttle missions as Commander.

I'm not sure how much, if any of the Apollo 18 hardware ended up being used in Apollo-Soyuz, but I am sure there will be someone here who will know.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
Yes, I know, I was referring to the movie.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »

Well, it was real actually, but it just never went ahead

Originally it was planned with a crew of Richard Gordon, Vance Brand and Harrison Schmitt, and was to land at Schroter's Valley. Then NASA cancelled Apollo 20, and the site was reviewed to the crater Gassendi. Then they cancelled it and Apollo 19 due to congressional appropriation cuts.

The only thing remaining from Apollo 18 was that due to pressure from the scientific community, geologist Harrison Schmitt was moved onto the Apollo 17 crew, replacing Joe Engle as LM pilot. Vance Brand went on to crew Apollo-Soyuz with Thomas Stafford and Deke Slayton, and he also flew three shuttle missions as Commander.

I'm not sure how much, if any of the Apollo 18 hardware ended up being used in Apollo-Soyuz, but I am sure there will be someone here who will know.
According to this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Apollo_missions  ,the CSM and LM originally slated for 18 were actually used on Apollo 17.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir