Author Topic: 9/11 Thread for advancedboy  (Read 25109 times)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
9/11 Thread for advancedboy
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
Advancedboy, since you've spammed several threads about 9/11, been asked to start an on topic thread about 9/11, yet have neglected to do so, I have taken the liberty to start one for you. Be my guest.

Finish this sentence: "9/11 is..."

You're welcome.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: 9/11 Thread for advancedboy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
Assuming he returns, advancedboy ought to be held to the topics already in discussion until he answers the outstanding questions.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »
He'll be back. He's visited the board at least twice since his tantrum. At any rate, I posted this thread because I wanted to point out that his inability to discuss 9/11 on its own instead of using it as a debate tactic indicates that he only uses it as a "credibility test".
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
Given his hilarious track record you just know he'll regurgitate all the dumbest claims:
-fire can't melt steel
-the towers fell at free fall "speed"
-the towers falling looked just like a controlled demolition, except when it doesn't look like a controlled demolition, but that was because it was a controlled demolition
-the Pentagon was hit by a missile

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »
I'm sure that, if he chooses to contribute, the words "fell into their own footprint" will be used a lot.

Because goodness knows, there's something weird about buildings falling down.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
It was one of the things that irritated me about The Avengers, actually; we know what buildings hit by large things look like when they collapse, and that wasn't it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline RedneckR0nin

• Venus
  • RnR
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
9/11...cause GW Bush...the guy that pretty much ****** up everything possible at any given moment...and could not bllshit his way out of a paperbag.....somehow pulled off the greatest criminal conspiracy and cover up of all time...oh yeah and the Jews....can't forget about the Jews...they do everything!
We landed..you too can learn this if you research

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
Finish this sentence: "9/11 is..."

9/11=0,818

Everyone knows that
WTC1 was dustified by some sort of Direct Energy Weapon
WTC2 was blown up by a miniature Nuke

Or we could believe in the Version by XKCD (http://xkcd.com/690/)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
Or we could believe in the Version by XKCD

I believe everything from XKCD has a special meaning.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
I'm always astonished by the fact that Truthers don't seem to understand Occam's Razor or ever seem to use it, as it generally makes life an easier thing to understand and make your way through.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Mr Gorsky

• Venus
  • Flying blind on a rocket cycle
    • That Fatal Kiss Music
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
I'm always astonished by the fact that Truthers don't seem to understand Occam's Razor or ever seem to use it, as it generally makes life an easier thing to understand and make your way through.

They're not allowed to play with sharp objects, obviously.
The Optimist: The glass is half full
The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
I hadn't seen that xkcd cartoon before. It's brilliant! Why didn't I think of it -- a compromise to keep both sides happy!

(Or both sides unhappy.)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »

Occam's Razor does not apply to historical events.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »

Occam's Razor does not apply to historical events.
It applies to any research and history is no different. At its core, history is an interpretive theory used to tie together various accounts of an event (or series of events) supported by the documentation of the event in question.  Eliminating assumptions and unwarranted claims most certainly provides for better history. 

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
History is a bunch of shit that happened. Why that shit happened requires a theory. Terrorists hijacked planes and flew them into buildings does not require a theory to explain that it happened. Why they did what they did does.