Author Topic: "Apollo 11" Documentary  (Read 19612 times)

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
"Apollo 11" Documentary
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Hi again to you all!  It's been quite a while... and I'm both glad to see a lot of familiar nyms around here (Hi gillianren!), and deeply discouraged that there's still a need for you to be manning the barricades. 

I dropped in to see if anyone had yet mentioned this new documentary: https://www.imax.com/movies/apollo-11-2019 . I couldn't find an existing topic about it; hope I'm not duplicating one. 

Anyhow, I just got back from seeing it at an IMAX theater.  Had to drive an hour each way since the closest theaters decided not to carry it (boo!  hiss!) but let me tell you, it was worth the trip!  This thing is FREAKING AWESOME!

It was made from high resolution movie film shot at the time but never screened, along with the movie and TV footage from the mission itself.  It's a very straightforward doco, no narration or framing footage, and no jumping back and forth in time.  But man, is it ever impressive on the IMAX screen!  I've never felt the liftoff so viscerally, and never had a clearer feel for the landing drama.  You can really see the boulder field as Neil scoots over it.

Unfortunately it's only in IMAX theaters for the next couple days, so get your hustle on if you have the opportunity.  It should have a wider release starting this Friday in regular theaters.  Highly, highly recommended!

For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube (no link here in case that triggers moderation, but it should pop up in a search).

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: "Apollo 11" Documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:15 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I was going to see it last weekend but the weather didn't cooperate. I should be able to see it this weekend, but I'm disappointed it won't be shown in IMAX.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube (no link here in case that triggers moderation, but it should pop up in a search).

There's no problem with posting videos here, especially Scott Manley's.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:52:06 PM »
Anyhow, I just got back from seeing it at an IMAX theater.  Had to drive an hour each way since the closest theaters decided not to carry it (boo!  hiss!) but let me tell you, it was worth the trip!  This thing is FREAKING AWESOME!

I can't think of a better description.  The screening at Sundance was pretty dramatic, but the IMAX version is hell-and-gone better.  The Saturn V liftoff sequence was the closest I've ever experienced to an actual rocket launch without being at, you know, an actual rocket launch.  And at least 90 percent of the film was footage even I've never seen before.  Or if I have, certainly not that dramatically framed.

For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube...

At the office, we're fans.  I want to have him narrate all my presentations.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »

There's no problem with posting videos here, especially Scott Manley's.

Thanks, LO.  Some fora automatically send new posts to moderation if they contain more than one link.  I wasn't sure about that here so I limited myself to the one.

A couple other observations on the movie:

- It was good to hear Walter Kronkite's voice again.  So much more gravitas than what passes for news anchors these days.

- The lunar ascent was dizzying on the big screen.  You get a real feel for the way the guidance system controlled the RCS, seemingly oscillating around the desired track.  Then, as the LM approached the rendezvous with the CSM, I found myself thinking: "This is the very thing that was the big objection to the LOR mission mode".

- I noticed a handful of very minor errors in the simple animations used to illustrate the mission phases.  You'd have to be pretty fussy to complain about those, though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:00:50 PM by Donnie B. »

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube...

Fly safe!  8)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
I eagerly await the showing in our nearby IMAX.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
Scott Manley the manly Scot. Hot damn does he have a sexy voice! :o
And, yes, very fascinating and informative to boot!

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »

I can't think of a better description.  The screening at Sundance was pretty dramatic, but the IMAX version is hell-and-gone better.  The Saturn V liftoff sequence was the closest I've ever experienced to an actual rocket launch without being at, you know, an actual rocket launch.  And at least 90 percent of the film was footage even I've never seen before.  Or if I have, certainly not that dramatically framed.

I think I know what you mean. About 15 years ago I saw a movie including a Shuttle launch at the IMAX cinema in Sydney. The camera seemed no more than about 50 metres from the base of the rocket...as well as hearing it with my ears I was feeling it with my stomach.

Sadly, the Sydney IMAX is closed for a year for renovations, and there's no sign the Melbourne IMAX is going to be screening it. Nor any indication that even the local art-house cinemas will be showing the ordinary version of the film.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
I can't see any release details for the UK yet either.  :'( >:(
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
From my search it is:
October 23, 2018—MacGillivray Freeman Films is pleased to announce it has acquired the giant screen institutional distribution rights to Apollo 11: First Steps (working title), the all-archival, immersive documentary film from director Todd Douglas Miller and Statement Pictures. The approximately 40-minute film captures the experience of the first manned lunar mission, one of humanity’s greatest feats, featuring never before seen large format footage. The film is slated for release in May 2019 in time for the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon on July 20, 1969. Watch a teaser trailer here.[/b]

It doesn't list any specific locations, so I might presume anywhere IMAX operates.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
I went to see the Apollo 11 documentary tonight, and I thought it was great. Definitely see it in a theater if you can.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »
From my search it is:
October 23, 2018—MacGillivray Freeman Films is pleased to announce it has acquired the giant screen institutional distribution rights to Apollo 11: First Steps (working title), the all-archival, immersive documentary film from director Todd Douglas Miller and Statement Pictures. The approximately 40-minute film captures the experience of the first manned lunar mission, one of humanity’s greatest feats, featuring never before seen large format footage. The film is slated for release in May 2019 in time for the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon on July 20, 1969. Watch a teaser trailer here.[/b]

It doesn't list any specific locations, so I might presume anywhere IMAX operates.

The film we're discussing is over 90 minutes long.  This must be either a cut-down version, or a different film altogether.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »
From my search it is:

The film we're discussing is over 90 minutes long.  This must be either a cut-down version, or a different film altogether.

IIRC there will be a cut down version for museums and school displays.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »
Saw it last night, enjoyed the hell out of it.

Some footage I had never seen before:

• Different launch angle, not the usual tower cam view
  • Ground view of LAS and skirt jettison
  • Ground view of the TLI burn  :o
  • View of Neil's descent from inside the LM

I think the re-entry view was an MTV bumper in the early '80s. 

And I still think the crawlers are more impressive pieces of engineering than the rockets they carry.