Author Topic: I teach A level Physics. That's all the proof I need  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
I teach A level Physics. That's all the proof I need
« on: June 18, 2017, 02:45:12 AM »
It's kicked off over at SABRE-roads. We've taken time off from talking about the M31 to talk about conspiracy theories.

I was surprised by how quaint the HB was. The arguments offered were Fox Special arguments, no stars, no crater, same backgrounds.

When I duly debunked them, the HB just asserted that he was qualified to teach A level Physics.

Why is everything coming out of Britain these days always so embarrassing?

Link
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34663

Offline tikkitakki

• Venus
Re: I teach A level Physics. That's all the proof I need
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:52:49 AM »
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:08:57 AM »
Ah crap. They only allow public read access to the roads forums.

Well this conversation is happening. I have an A level in Physics after all, so you can trust me.

Everyone is piling onto him, particularly about basing his defense on his qualifications. There's even been a link, not from me, to Phil Plait's Fox Special page.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »
 I find this specially hilarious, since so often the argument breaks down into 'Don't trust the authorities, man; they're all lying'.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
The real argument is "Don't trust the authorities unless they're telling us what we want to hear."

Doesn't that sound just a little...dangerous?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
The real argument is "Don't trust the authorities unless they're telling us what we want to hear."

Doesn't that sound just a little...dangerous?

Yes, given that different sections of society want to hear something different from the authorities.

You have to love some of these people and their view of government. Most of the nefarious acts of governments are quite well documented. One only has to switch on the news to see the impact of arms dealing, poor foreign policy decisions and the ever increasing environmental impact. To believe there is benefit to be gained form faking a moon mission demonstrates a fundamental lack of grip on reality.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:16:34 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:44:44 AM »
If this guy was really teaching A Level Physics, shouldn't he be reported.. I mean how would you feel if you knew your child was being taught science by a creationist, for example. The guy would probably use all the old cliché arguments relating to Apollo and therefore would have no understanding of: Newtons laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, radiation etc etc.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
I mean how would you feel if you knew your child was being taught science by a creationist, for example.
Unfortunately there are quite a few of these incompetent science teachers, at least in the US. Many also deny global warming for similar ideological reasons.

Here's a small but very worthwhile organization whose entire purpose is to combat this problem: https://ncse.com/