Author Topic: Interesting article on the psychology of conspiracy "theorists"  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Interesting article on the psychology of conspiracy "theorists"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
From the article in the OP:
...when conspiracy-mongering leads to absurd conclusions and diverts our attention from real, pressing political issues and leads people to become politically apathetic, it can be a dangerous waste of time.

I'm spending a bit of time on the Unexplained Mysteries forum at the moment, and this attitude of political apathy is at least noticeable, although it's obviously difficult to tell how pervasive it is. Nevertheless it's easy to get the idea that there are people spending hours of spare time on the forum convincing themselves The Powers That Be have all the power sewn up, rather than getting off their backsides and wielding the power they have.

I posted a comment similar to the quote above in a thread about the 50th anniversary of JFK's death: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257471&st=60#entry4989640 including this:
I get the impression that many people think important events need important causes. But I think it's important to understand and accept that individuals can change things too. Even more importantly, it's something which can be viewed positively too: one person taking a stand can be the catalyst that leads others to challenge something that is wrong (Rosa Parks comes to mind).
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org