Author Topic: Starting new threads?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Willoughby

• Venus
Starting new threads?
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
If the consensus is that of the status quo, then I'm entirely fine with that as I am in no position to be making demands.  This is merely a casual suggestion.

It would be much easier for me personally to browse through these threads if new ones were started every now and then.  There are never new threads, and it is hard to know where I've left off on my last visit.  I spend most of my time browsing through posts I've already read.  I understand that there is a "show unread posts since last visit" link, but it doesn't really filter out what I've already read.  I also understand there is often a problem on forums where there are several threads that deal with the exact same topic.  This forum has the opposite "problem" in that there are often several topics in the same thread.  It reminds me of the family email list I am on.  I click on an email with the subject "Mom's surgery" only to find that the thread has moved on the Granddad's chicken fried steak batter recipe.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
Re: Starting new threads?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »
Participation in this forum by hoax believers has dropped to almost zero since they found they can spew their crap on Youtube without having to put up with opposing viewpoints. What is left is mostly Apollo enthusiasts sharing their knowledge and love for that history. Since I check the board's new posts every day, I find it easy to stay on top of what's being discussed. Granted, I don't experience the forum in the same manner as someone who periodically drops in to catch up but the slider bar can take you through off-topic posts very quickly if they're not of interest to you.

Lunar Orbit does not require as strict an adherence to a very specific thread topic as a board like CQ does and that's fine with me. I think we're lucky he keeps the board alive considering the current lack of HB participation. I'm not about to ask him to police every incidence of off-topic posting.

Of course there are times when it can be hard to find something you remember being discussed when it was only a small part of a much larger thread, so I do share your frustration with that but it's not enough of an issue with me to require disrupting a conversation flow. The level of expertise with a number of regular posters here is high enough that I'm simply grateful for the knowledge they are sharing.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
Participation in this forum by hoax believers has dropped to almost zero since they found they can spew their crap on Youtube without having to put up with opposing viewpoints.
I'd think that by now most HBs have to realize that posting here just gets them torn to shreds.
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline Willoughby

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
I wasn't suggesting any kind of policy change or a requirement of any kind.  My post was meant for the regular posters of the forum.  If they wanted, or didn't mind, could they post new threads every once in a while when the topics have strayed off topic enough for a new thread to be appropriate.  It's really no big deal.  I in no way was suggesting that that the moderator or administrator (Lunar Orbit) make a policy requiring members to post new threads.  This seems like a very tight-knit community, and I like that about this forum.  Whatever that community's consensus is ought to be the norm, and if the consensus is to create a thread that runs 100 pages deep, then so be it.  I can manage.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:21:12 PM by Willoughby »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
Participation in this forum by hoax believers has dropped to almost zero since they found they can spew their crap on Youtube without having to put up with opposing viewpoints.
I'd think that by now most HBs have to realize that posting here just gets them torn to shreds.

Or that the die-hard hoaxies are a dying breed. The modern hoaxie seems much more concerned with other whacko beliefs and rather than sticking to one, they flit between many.

I sorta miss hoaxies like Patrick Tekeli...at least he made an effort to read the record.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
Actually, I think they've gotten even crazier. Not only do they deny the reality of the Apollo program, many now deny that satellites exist, that rockets work in vacuum or even that the earth is spherical. They seem to think satellite TV broadcasts and GPS signals come from ground towers.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
Actually, I think they've gotten even crazier. Not only do they deny the reality of the Apollo program, many now deny that satellites exist, that rockets work in vacuum or even that the earth is spherical. They seem to think satellite TV broadcasts and GPS signals come from ground towers.
I have run onto another Apollo hoaxer on YouTube by the name of Joe Rogan.  Same re-hash of the old claims with a bit of colorful metaphors using Disney as his backdrop.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
If the consensus is that of the status quo, then I'm entirely fine with that as I am in no position to be making demands.  This is merely a casual suggestion.

It would be much easier for me personally to browse through these threads if new ones were started every now and then.  There are never new threads, and it is hard to know where I've left off on my last visit.  I spend most of my time browsing through posts I've already read.  I understand that there is a "show unread posts since last visit" link, but it doesn't really filter out what I've already read.  I also understand there is often a problem on forums where there are several threads that deal with the exact same topic.  This forum has the opposite "problem" in that there are often several topics in the same thread.  It reminds me of the family email list I am on.  I click on an email with the subject "Mom's surgery" only to find that the thread has moved on the Granddad's chicken fried steak batter recipe.

I understand your concern, and I agree it is a problem. Ideally, people should keep threads on topic and start new threads if they want to follow a tangent. But in practice, it is difficult to move a discussion to another thread. One person can suggest it and even start the new thread, but convincing the other participants to follow them is another matter. It's a bit like convincing all of your Facebook friends and family to follow you to Google+. ;)

It's human nature to have conversations drift from one topic to another over time, so it's bound to happen in a forum like this. I can't exactly get upset over it, and I don't have the time to follow every thread and separate off-topic discussions into new threads. It can be like trying to separate cancerous cells from good cells (not that I consider any discussions to be like cancer). The off-topic discussion is interspersed with on-topic discussion (sometimes in a single post) so there is no easy way to separate them.

My main concern is that hoax believers stick to the point of the discussion. We have to keep them on topic otherwise there is no hope of ever resolving any of their questions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:43:10 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)