Author Topic: Ryan Gosling to play Neil Armstrong in bio pic  (Read 2198 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Ryan Gosling to play Neil Armstrong in bio pic
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:13:20 AM »
I remember having a discussion about who should play Neil Armstrong in a movie based on his biography. It was probably on the old ProBoards forum. Well, it looks like the movie is actually going to be made, with Ryan Gosling as Armstrong.

I'm not sure whether I like the casting of Ryan Gosling. He is a great actor, don't get me wrong, but there is something about him that I think makes him a bad match. I think it's because Gosling seems so outgoing and extroverted (which I can personally attest to... I met him once many years ago), and Neil was quite introverted. Oh well, I guess he can try to rein in his personality a bit. I'm just glad the movie is finally going to be made.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:17:40 AM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Ryan Gosling to play Neil Armstrong in bio pic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
I remember having a discussion about who should play Neil Armstrong in a movie based on his biography. It was probably on the old ProBoards forum. Well, it looks like the movie is actually going to be made, with Ryan Gosling as Armstrong.

I'm not sure whether I like the casting of Ryan Gosling. He is a great actor, don't get me wrong, but there is something about him that I think makes him a bad match. I think it's because Gosling seems so outgoing and extroverted (which I can personally attest to... I met him once many years ago), and Neil was quite introverted. Oh well, I guess he can try to rein in his personality a bit. I'm just glad the movie is finally going to be made.

Actors act, and the good ones are capable of adjusting their personality traits (and suppressing their own personalities) to match that of the character they are portraying, for example Helen Mirren who has played a huge variety of roles, from a Russian Spacecraft commander to Ayn Rand to The Queen of England, or Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs", yet able to pull off a brilliant and accurate portrayal of Burt Munro in "The World's Fastest Indian"

I think acting itself requires something of an extroverted personality, so I think it would be difficult to find a good actor to play the part of Neil Armstrong. IMO, Tony Goldwyn did a very creditable job of playing the part in HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" , but at 56, he's probably too old to play that part now.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:54:14 AM »
Well, I just saw Ryan Gosling in "La La Land" over the weekend. And given that Gosling performed all his own piano stunts in that movie, and given that Armstrong was quite a gifted piano player, perhaps that played a part in Gosling being selected... ;-)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
Well, I just saw Ryan Gosling in "La La Land" over the weekend. And given that Gosling performed all his own piano stunts in that movie, and given that Armstrong was quite a gifted piano player, perhaps that played a part in Gosling being selected... ;-)

Wonder how Gosling is as a mechanic? From reading "First Man", it was interesting to read how Neil would often be tinkering or rebuilding his vehicles engines.