Author Topic: They faked the first one  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
They faked the first one
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
I was just thinking about this (because I'm bored). I've heard it a couple of times from the more casual HB.

It is of course particularly incoherent. Such an HB is basically saying that NASA had the capability to accomplish a moonlanding four months after the one they allegedly faked yet they still faked the first one anyway. For what purpose?

What's fun about this is the insight into this particular subspecies of HB.  As I said, I've heard this from the more casual ones. Not only do they lack the motivation to dive too much into the deep end, but they also lack the bottomless stupidity too. Deep down they know the conspiracy theory is ridiculous but they also desire to believe it because it gels with their worldview, turning the great achievement into something sinister. They somehow think the stupidity is related to amount of hoarding they are alleging so this compromise means they get to be less stupid while still keeping their helping of juicy story.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
Re: They faked the first one
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
Yeah. Even Apollo 12 kept the "before the decade is out" promise, so they can't use that as an excuse.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
I've also heard HBs claim that the missions were real but the pictures were faked.

:o
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
They are probably just unaware that Apollo 12 also happened in 1969. I doubt they put a whole lot of thought into their theory.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »
I've also heard HBs claim that the missions were real but the pictures were faked.

Did one of the more prominent HBs take that line eventually? If I recall it was either David Percy or Marcus Allen, but I might be wrong.

This particular line of logic reminds me of the Mitchell and Webb sketch.

I never get bored of this sketch, simply in the way it mocks the incoherency of their ever expanding polytheory.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:29:35 AM »

:o

Some of that is in the context of covering up aliens, but some is just a lazy attempt to have cake and eat it too as above.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:16:42 AM »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Besides Apollo 12 also fulfilling the goal, just what was there left to test after Apollo 10? Aside from the unmanned flights that tested the CSM, Saturn V and LM, the previous manned flights did the same, with Apollo 10 doing literally everything but land, even being intentionally short fuelled so the astronauts couldn't get any funny ideas. The only thing to test fully was the actual landing, which you can't do without, well, landing.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Besides Apollo 12 also fulfilling the goal, just what was there left to test after Apollo 10?

Driving a rover on the surface of the moon?

...with Apollo 10 doing literally everything but land...

They were all very brave men, but I think out of all the acts this ranks in my mind as being exceptionally brave.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Besides Apollo 12 also fulfilling the goal, just what was there left to test after Apollo 10?
There was plenty more to test even after the first landing. For example, Apollo 11 overshot its landing spot by quite a bit, so Apollo 12 was intended to show that a precision landing was possible. Each landing extended the stay time of the one before and did quite a bit more surface exploration.

Regarding the short-fueling of the Apollo 10 LM, Gene Cernan likes to joke that it was to keep them from getting any ideas about being the first men on the moon, but the real reason was far more prosaic. The LM was still overweight, and since Snoopy didn't have to land on the moon it could be short-fueled to make up for its excess weight and still carry out a complete lunar orbital flight test.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
More to test to meet Kennedy's goal is what I meant, guys and gals.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »
There was plenty more to test even after the first landing. For example, Apollo 11 overshot its landing spot by quite a bit, so Apollo 12 was intended to show that a precision landing was possible. Each landing extended the stay time of the one before and did quite a bit more surface exploration.

Regarding the short-fueling of the Apollo 10 LM, Gene Cernan likes to joke that it was to keep them from getting any ideas about being the first men on the moon, but the real reason was far more prosaic. The LM was still overweight, and since Snoopy didn't have to land on the moon it could be short-fueled to make up for its excess weight and still carry out a complete lunar orbital flight test.

I'm sure that I also read somewhere that the Luminary software in the LM didn't have the full complement of landing software.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:37:50 AM »
Quite possible, since the software was being worked on right up to the last moment, or close to it.

Just like every software project since.