Author Topic: YouTube Madness  (Read 33314 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: YouTube Madness
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »
Reply #36 on page 3 of this thread.

In Tapatalk, that imbedded stream isn't visible. Just the text, so it looked like Noldi was responding to something up-thread.  It wasn't till your post prompted me to open it in Safari that I saw it. Thanks!

I wasn't aware of that - henceforth, if I imbed a video I'll include the link also. Thanks for the heads-up.

By assaulting Buzz Aldrin and getting hit the face for it.

Or, like Kaysing, sue Jim Lovell for slander for calling Kaysing whacky.  I read somewhere that Kaysing was going to act as his own attorney. That's a trial I would have paid to see.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
Or, like Kaysing, sue Jim Lovell for slander for calling Kaysing whacky.  I read somewhere that Kaysing was going to act as his own attorney. That's a trial I would have paid to see.
If only.  It was dismissed with prejudice before it went to trial.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
This week's standout in the Denies-Established-Science category, of the ones I've dealt with, is CNN911Fakes, who dismissed the concept of the partial pressure of gasses (Dalton's Law) - which he had apparently never heard of until I tried to explain to him why 4 psi of oxygen is a life sustaining atmosphere.

I'll leave off the lead-up and skip straight to the fun part.

CNN911Fakes:

The truth is, any ambient air molecule, regardless of kind, is pushing on your skin at the same pressure as all the rest of the ambient air molecules.

To say that the oxygen pressure at sea level is 3 psi because oxygen makes up 21% of the ambient air is what is twisted and just plain wrong. Every oxygen molecule pressing against you is being pressed there by all of the rest of the ambient air molecules.

Of course, this is also one of the same guys who insists that rockets can't work in space because they have a "big honking hole" at the back, so the vacuum of space would suck the propellants out before they could ignite.

The burn......
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
"Blown out, actually, Sir." :)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:31 AM »
Does he also think that technical diving is a hoax?

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
Does he also think that technical diving is a hoax?

I think you've dealt with this guy before - he always pretends to misunderstand what you say and twists it around. We did take a little side foray on the subject of SCUBA diving; he thought that if breathing pure oxygen (I pointed out that the astronauts pre-oxygenated before their flights) prevented the bends, SCUBA divers should use pure oxygen.  I mentioned that some diving rigs do use pure oxygen or exotic oxy mixes, but that they were complex, expensive, and require specialized training to use safely.  He pretended not to understand why there would be a difference between low-pressure and high-pressure (underwater) environments.   :o

"Blown out, actually, Sir." :)

Hey, I doesn't make 'em up, I just reports 'em.  His actual argument is that Boyle's Law means that any gas injected into the combustion chamber would instantaneously expand into the "infinite vacuum" of space before it could ignite.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
This week's standout in the Denies-Established-Science category, of the ones I've dealt with, is CNN911Fakes, who dismissed the concept of the partial pressure of gasses (Dalton's Law) - which he had apparently never heard of until I tried to explain to him why 4 psi of oxygen is a life sustaining atmosphere.

I'll leave off the lead-up and skip straight to the fun part.

CNN911Fakes:

The truth is, any ambient air molecule, regardless of kind, is pushing on your skin at the same pressure as all the rest of the ambient air molecules.

To say that the oxygen pressure at sea level is 3 psi because oxygen makes up 21% of the ambient air is what is twisted and just plain wrong. Every oxygen molecule pressing against you is being pressed there by all of the rest of the ambient air molecules.

Of course, this is also one of the same guys who insists that rockets can't work in space because they have a "big honking hole" at the back, so the vacuum of space would suck the propellants out before they could ignite.

The burn......

If that was posted at JREF, it would be an instant nominee and potential winner for a Stundie Award
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
It doesn't have to be posted at JREF to qualify for a JREF Stundie.  Simply post the quote and provide a link to the original in this month's Stundie thread to make the nomination official.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
It doesn't have to be posted at JREF to qualify for a JREF Stundie.  Simply post the quote and provide a link to the original in this month's Stundie thread to make the nomination official.
Good idea. I'll do that.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »

True dat. The previous two months winners came from this forum!

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »
Oh yes, as you know I am quite familiar with CNN911Fakes. I'm also familiar with Chev4206, who has to be the most deliberately offensive Youtube user of all time. In fact, they are so similar that I'm not sure they're not sock puppets of the same person. However CNN911Fakes seems slightly more gracious at times.

I hadn't seen your discussion with him on diving mixtures. Pure oxygen is actually quite toxic at high pressures, above about 2 atm or so. So while it is useful in helping N2 outgas from your body, it cannot be safely used below a depth of about 9 m. Its partial pressure must be limited, which at greater depths can only be done by adding diluent gases such as N2, He and even H2.

This was not understood by the WW2 German divers who were breathing pure O2. The British divers defending Gibraltar made use of this fact by taking their German opponents down until they went into convulsions. Apparently this property of pressurized oxygen was a tightly held British secret during the war.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »

This was not understood by the WW2 German divers who were breathing pure O2. The British divers defending Gibraltar made use of this fact by taking their German opponents down until they went into convulsions. Apparently this property of pressurized oxygen was a tightly held British secret during the war.

Oxygen toxicity was well known by everyone before WW2.  . You can read this the books by Costeau or HaasEveryone took what today would be considered uacceptable risks with it.  The problem is at times you can go very deep with it - 15, 20 m, even more, and the next day you can't.  Even the 2 atmosphere pp limit about 2% of the population can't tolerate, according to a clearance diver I was chatting to today..

German frogman never attacked Gibraltar, these attacks were carried by the the Italian navy, using equipment much more advanced that that of the RN (until it was copied).

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

True dat. The previous two months winners came from this forum!
And there have been previous winners from the David Icke Stundie Mining forum (that's what I call it anyway) and GLP.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.