Author Topic: Cat Scratch Fever! Meow!  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: Cat Scratch Fever! Meow!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
Hi Jay,

I was trying to keep it simple by using "remix the contrast". But if you want to get techinical, how about contrast and brightness, or if you want to get real professional "adjusting the curves" or "dodging and burning".
Ah yes. The "poke the sliders you do not understand until you get something you like" school of photo analysis. Jr. Knowing, that simply holds no water, at all. If it did work as a method, one could prove every photo ever taken to be fake.

Tell you what, Jr. Provide any photo you know to be real and I will "poke the sliders" and prove it fake.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
Indeed, I return to what I often say:  Owning a copy of Photoshop makes you an image analyst in the same way that owning a chisel makes you Michelangelo.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi Jay,

I was trying to keep it simple by using "remix the contrast". But if you want to get techinical, how about contrast and brightness, or if you want to get real professional "adjusting the curves" or "dodging and burning".
Ah yes. The "poke the sliders you do not understand until you get something you like" school of photo analysis. Jr. Knowing, that simply holds no water, at all. If it did work as a method, one could prove every photo ever taken to be fake.

Tell you what, Jr. Provide any photo you know to be real and I will "poke the sliders" and prove it fake.

Sounds like a Jack White procedure from what I've read.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 04:43:42 PM »
I’m sorry for reviving this for a bit, but I have a question that’s been bugging me a bit.

OP brought up these two pictures that I decided to look at for a bit.  OP focused more on the position the astronaut was in, but I’m more focused on the visor reflection. In the visor reflection you have his hands (which I know are oriented correctly) but he also has a blue bag sort of thing that’s directly under his hands. I’ve been trying to look at this correctly, but I’m not sure where the blue bag object is reflected on his visor. Or maybe it’s too low to be reflected on his visor? I think it’s more that my expectations are incorrect, but I’m expecting a blue bag-like object directly under his hands in the reflection.

If it is simply too low to be reflected, then shouldn’t that mean that his hands should be at the bottom of the visor?
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »
Here’s the picture I’m referring to
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 02:26:53 AM »
I think you have to look at the position of the thumbs to see what proportion of the pouch is visible, and bear in mind that the visor is tinted. In the visor the left thumb (as we see it) is close to the bottom of the visor, in real life it is at the top of the pouch, so we wouldn't necessarily see all of it. That said the curve of the visor might allow you to see all of it. I fiddled around with the colour and contrast and sharpening and I believe I can make it out, but its inconclusive.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 07:17:51 AM »
Owning a copy of Photoshop makes you an image analyst in the same way that owning a chisel makes you Michelangelo.

Which is very generous, most Hoaxers use that chisel and think they are Rembrandt...

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
So you take a photo off of the internet, a JPG compressed file? Which is only a small fraction of the actual picture? Do you think it's just for s*its and giggles, modern cameras produce RAW-files greater than 20 Mbyte? And what is the size of your "suspect" JPG? EVERY TIME you "poke the sliders", you aren't discovering new picture info - you are discarding parts of the picture instead.

If your picture was a bas relief, your method is equal to taking a belt sander and grinding it down to "discover" flat areas.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.