Author Topic: Question about J White's moon rock composition  (Read 31042 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Question about J White's moon rock composition
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
In addition to which, Vader was reacting as much to Solo's drawing, aiming and firing of the weapon as he was to the speed of the bolt, and he had the advantage that he probably expected Solo to pull a gun on him the moment the door opened.

Furthermore, I know the prequel trilogy is seen as blasphemous to many, but remember that Qui-gon Jinn described the Jedi's (and by extension the Sith's) reflexes as partly being so rapid because they can sense things before they happen, which would give Vader even more of an advantage even if the gun had been firing a laser bolt: provided his hand is up and in place before the bolt leaves the gun it will be blocked.

In fairness, you've got me on every count :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »
Obviously the angular momentum of the solar system as a whole has to be conserved, but I'm assuming tidal effects from the sun are negligible. It only rotates once every 28 days so it's almost a perfect sphere, and we're also a considerable distance from it. So it's probably a good approximation to say that the total momenta of Earth and Theia were conserved through the collision and evolution of the moon.

I'll try and trace the excerpt from the BBC's planets, and attribute a little more of this to the scientists involved. I can dig a little deep behind a BBC documentary. However, was always led to believe that the problem was confined to the angular momentum of the Earth and Theia.

ETA: William Hartmann and Joe Melosh would appear to be the names connected to the theory. I remember Jarrah using their testimony to support his argument.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:53:53 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

I would be sceptical of such figures, they are model-based and therefore assumption controlled.  Unlike modelling of giant impacts, they don't lead to testable predictions.
Do the the models of the accretion phase lead to testable predictions also?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:09 AM »

I would be sceptical of such figures, they are model-based and therefore assumption controlled.  Unlike modelling of giant impacts, they don't lead to testable predictions.

As I understand it they do, WRT angular momentum, composition, velocity and volume of ejected material, etc.  I would have to dig down into the literature for details.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:27 AM »
Speaking of Luna's formation, I'm hearing that a giant impact is now the leading explanation for the formation of Pluto's moon Charon. I wonder if there's something specific in the early results from New Horizons that makes them say this, or if it's been the idea for some time.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »

As I understand it they do, WRT angular momentum, composition, velocity and volume of ejected material, etc.  I would have to dig down into the literature for details.

Ok, it always seemed odd to me having Saturn closer to the sun than Jupiter, but got kicked further out.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:04 AM »
Jarrah did a video a few weeks ago gushing about the New Horizons pictures of Pluto. Some pretty amusing comments from his flock who are not happy with him. lol

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2015, 07:07:28 AM »
Jarrah did a video a few weeks ago gushing about the New Horizons pictures of Pluto. Some pretty amusing comments from his flock who are not happy with him. lol
Amusing, I quit watching any of his videos after watching the series on Apollo 1 fire.  If he were my defense lawyer I'd fire him.  Simply by linking/showing pieces of literature DOES NOT prove his point.  Only circumstantially does it influence his proposal.  After taking/making a statement he often then introduces conflicting/contradictory links that disprove an earlier proposal.  The worse(?) part about it he doesn't understand that he does this, or he won't do it again.
Eugene Cernan