Author Topic: Terrain and the strange things it does  (Read 12309 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Terrain and the strange things it does
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 02:54:02 AM »
I really wish I could see anaglyphs. My eyes don't do that at all (I have one strongly dominant eye and my brain refuses to make 3D pictures work... although strangely some 3D films work OK).
Interesting. I know of at least one person whose stereoblindness was actually cured by watching a 3D Film (though not red cyan anaglyph, more modern polarized glasses).

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:57 AM »
I really wish I could see anaglyphs. My eyes don't do that at all (I have one strongly dominant eye and my brain refuses to make 3D pictures work... although strangely some 3D films work OK).
Interesting. I know of at least one person whose stereoblindness was actually cured by watching a 3D Film (though not red cyan anaglyph, more modern polarized glasses).

That is interesting. Maybe I should go and see more 3D films. (I watched The Martian in 3D and it was very effective!)

I'm still not really sure whether I see in 3D like other people, though. I mean, I can catch a ball, play squash etc with no problems, but the real world doesn't "pop" like a 3D movie does.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »

That is interesting. Maybe I should go and see more 3D films. (I watched The Martian in 3D and it was very effective!)

I'm still not really sure whether I see in 3D like other people, though. I mean, I can catch a ball, play squash etc with no problems, but the real world doesn't "pop" like a 3D movie does.
Sigh. Once again, I abhor 3D movies, my eldest wears glasses and hates them, my youngest doesn't wear glasses and she hates them. Any time a movie of interest is released, I am greeted by a chorus of "2D" to my eternal relief.

Seems to me that 3D is a matter of preference and fashion.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »

Not only do I think that it can vary from person to person, but sometimes the 3D effects seem more obvious (or more "dramatic") in some scenes than they are in others.

I saw The Martian in 3D and while I thought the 3D effects were good, it was nothing dramatic. I recently watched it again in 2D on a 40" HDTV and for mine, it didn't really lose anything.

Same applies to the only other movie I have seen in 3D, Avatar. Most of the 3D seemed a bit "meh" to me, but there was one scene that really stood out (no pun intended). It was the scene where the two main characters were in the forest, and a whole lot of bright spore-like objects were raining down across the whole screen and landing on the main character. I really felt like the nearest ones were landing in my lap!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 04:24:03 AM »
Most important thing is that my flat is ancient history so I can now relax. All I have to worry about now is when my new house will be ready. And building my nascent career. And getting into the US in three weeks. And my family's health issues (nothing too serious, a gammy shoulder and a pregnancy). And Brexit and the destruction of the Union, particularly their impact on my job. But not my old flat.

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »

Almost certainly something getting re-wired in the brain.

Remember the white/gold or blue/black dress internet meme from a couple of years back? It was always, always white/gold for me. I spent ages researching the issue, which involved spending a lot of time looking at the picture. One day I went back to it, but couldn't find the white/gold image anywhere, no matter where I looked on the tinterweb. I'd basically 'cured' myself of the ability to see this image as white/gold: I must have rewired my brain to perceive the image as blue/black.

I miss the white/gold dress, I think it looked nicer :(

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
What follows is pure speculation, so take it for what it's worth...

No two people have eyes that are exactly the same distance apart, so it's not surprising to me that 3D effects (whether red-blue or polarized) would work better for some people than for others.  I'm sure the image offset is chosen based on the most common distance, but for someone whose pupils are more or less than that common distance apart, the 3D effect will be less ... effective, for lack of a better term. 

It's like those Magic Eye images that have 3D patterns hidden in an abstract pattern.  I can usually find them pretty easily, but I know other people who can't, no matter how long they stare at it. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
I'm one of them.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
Love them, here's a relevant one for this group that's really easy to see. :)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »
I don't see anything in this image.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 12:28:29 AM »
I don't see anything in this image.
Nothing doing here either.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 06:11:48 AM »
Wow so strange how peoples perception differs, it shows an un-tethered astronaut outside the space shuttle with the word NASA above.

To see this click on it and make it larger, try looking past the image for a few seconds, once it comes into view it's hard not to see it.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »
It's a matter of disconnecting where you direct your eyes and where you focus them, for practice look into the distance and hold up a finger.  You should see two out-of-focus images of the finger against the distant background.  Now try and get the finger images into focus without changing where your eyes are pointing.  For these puzzles you have to focus on the screen but direct your eyes at a point behind it.

How did he get to do an EVA with the payload doors closed?
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »
To see this click on it and make it larger, try looking past the image for a few seconds, once it comes into view it's hard not to see it.

With the above type of image though I get a weird 3D cut-out effect. I can see the NASA, but it appears as a hole through which I can see the letters.  It's like my brain is recognising the 3D effect and giving me part of the intended result, but not all of it. Very, very strange.

With this type of image I can see the 3D effect very easily using the cross-eye technique
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov