Author Topic: What's this black object on the Apollo 17 LM?  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Rob48

• Venus
What's this black object on the Apollo 17 LM?
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
I took this photo from a hoax forum. The claim (which I should point out I am not advocating!) is that the black rectangle (circled in yellow) in AS17-140-21370 which obscures part of the flag is something added to hide a reflection. Clearly that's nonsense, but what is it?

I had a look at some other A17 pics and can see the same black rectangle. Clearly it is some distance in front of the flag, because it obscures different portions of it, for instance in AS17-134-20483 you can see it at the top left: https://flic.kr/p/y5USzg

It seems to be attached to the insulation behind the ladder. Anyone know what it is?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: What's this black object on the Apollo 17 LM?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »
It seems to be marked in the blueprints, but I can't find a picture with high enough resolution to read the text associated with it.

http://www.artifactoryreplicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/NASA-Digital-Blueprint-Lunar-Excursion-Module-LEM-Component-Layout-c-1.jpg
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
What a lovely picture.

Isn't that just some tape to hold the insulation together?

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
What a lovely picture.

Isn't that just some tape to hold the insulation together?
That's what I thought at first, but it's not on the insulation (at least not the part with the flag on). It's in front of it, as its relative position changes in photos from different angles.

Edit to add detail from AS17-134-20483:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:48:53 PM by Rob48 »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
ALSJ indicates:
EVA-3 at the LM. LM, best of plaque pictures, referring to the plaque on the LM leg, but doesn't describe the object.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:29:41 AM »
Here's a level adjusted and heavily sharpened crop of the square. You can see that the bottom right corner is bent up a little. It seems to be a continuation of other material passing behind the ladder. Oh, and there is a reflection of a Klingon war vessel.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:04:07 AM »
Looks like a Romulan bird of prey.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 05:56:23 AM »
Romulans have been reported using Klingon designs...

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 06:22:04 AM »
Here's another angle: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-147-22517HR.jpg

I'd say it was just a piece of insulation that got folded down/drooped down when the MESA was lowered for access to EVA equipment. There seems to be similar squares of insulation in the next quad on the left.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 07:15:13 AM »

Well in that case their cloaking device is broken.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:08 AM »
Actually looks like they're getting ready to fire their disruptor weapon.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
I believe it is the Equipment Transfer Bag - The successor to the Lunar Equipment Conveyor.

The following discussion comes from the Apollo 11 review done with Neil and Buzz in Santa Fe in 1991:

Armstrong - "(The LEC) was a piece of equipment that did not exist - was not planned - until we were someplace in the middle of our training cycle. And we were not confident about our ability to transfer articles to and from the cabin and the surface. I can't remember who devised this idea, but it was devised collectively by our EVA planning group. It was a jury-rig that we collectively devised."

Aldrin - "It was needed. There wasn't another solution to the problem. Didn't it do the job reasonably well?"

Armstrong - "Yeah, it did."

Aldrin - "It wasn't very professional."

Armstrong - "It was a bit of a jury-rig, but it did the job."

Aldrin - "I guess one problem was that it tended to carry up dust? It didn't have a pulley, you just lifted at the top. Or did it have a pulley?" (see below)

Armstrong - "It was a flat nylon strap, as I remember..."

Aldrin - "Didn't it just go through the AOT guard, or did it have a pulley?"

Armstrong - "I don't remember. It may have been some kind of a cylinder with a hook."

Aldrin, from the 1969 Technical Debrief - "There are alternate ways of bringing things up, other than by the LEC. I think there is promise of being able to bring things up over the side (of the porch); straight up, versus making use of the LEC. We didn't have the opportunity to exercise those."

The Apollo 11 style LEC was used on Apollos 11 through 15; although, beginning with Apollo 14, the astronauts sometimes carried equipment up and down the ladder by hand. The Apollo 16 and 17 crews flew with only a simple lanyard with which they raised and lowered the Equipment Transfer Bag with its cargo of relatively fragile cameras at the side of the porch, as Buzz had suggested.

Link
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:05 AM »
The LEC was that clothes line that never worked?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
Following Count Zero's idea a search for Equipment Transfer Bag
https://www.google.com/search?q=equipment+transfer+bag+for+LM&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGuLX6k-rQAhVkyFQKHYT0DD0QsAQIRA#tbm=isch&q=equipment+transfer+bag+for+apollo+LM&imgrc=xBR1NagJpfG92M%3A

Revealed one image (12th on my search) of the ETB and it does appear that one side is black, unless the image contains a darken image of the side shielded by lights.  Looks like a close match.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan