Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479291 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Our friend has been busy.

Wow, what a disturbed mind.

Some of his latest posts are pure word salad.
This whole frantic rage of posting makes me wonder if we are going to see him in the headlines sometime soon.  That is not the work of a man in control of his life.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
Here is a partial list from ATS:

decisively
Pauline4999
RhesusFibert
lanthammysteriosos
DelbertDoogleSchmidt
Capablanca
WeaselSpencer
CrushTheWeenies
GoodieGoodie
DigItLosseJam
phoenixwinchester
thelegendaryfattydash
JayUtah
JJayUtahh
SkankBuster
Theresaaa
DuneFan
slystone
FelixDoodleBrook

And, possibly, "Dr.Dana" who made a single inscrutable post.

Patrick states his "manifesto" here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread850806/pg1

I am alarmed by his increasingly violent imagery.

ETA: I think I might have caught a couple you missed!  ;)
Wow, just wow...all those socks, and even impersonating Jay. It's been obvious to me for some time that this is one troubled person, but I think I might have been underestimating how troubled. :-\
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2012, 03:40:14 AM »
You know, every time I worry that we're getting weirdly fixated on you, Jay, I think, "Yeah, but compare us to some of the HBs.  At least we like Jay!"

;D

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »

This whole frantic rage of posting makes me wonder if we are going to see him in the headlines sometime soon.  That is not the work of a man in control of his life.

Sometimes doctors write themselves prescriptions.

I find it sad to contemplate.

Offline DJW001

• Mercury
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »

I am very concerned about that. He seems to have more and more time on his hands.

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
With his writing "style", you'd thing he gets paid by the word. I can't remember seeing anyone who could say so little using so many words. Maybe it was my junior high english teacher, who hated wordy papers with run-on sentences, that brought it to mind. Is it an attempt to come across as terribly literate?

Any thoughts from our resident expert?

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
I wish I had Patrick's talent for coming up with unusual and distinctive forum names. Every time I try to use something different it comes back as 'already in use' so I just end up utilising the same old name all the time. Then again, it's my real name and I've got nothing to hide.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
With his writing "style", you'd thing he gets paid by the word. I can't remember seeing anyone who could say so little using so many words. Maybe it was my junior high english teacher, who hated wordy papers with run-on sentences, that brought it to mind. Is it an attempt to come across as terribly literate?

Any thoughts from our resident expert?

I think he thinks his writing style makes him seem more educated and therefore more worth listening to.  While it is true that, the more educated you are, the more complicated your sentence structure generally is, it's also true that you get more things right than he does!  His style probably fools uneducated people--ones who do not themselves know how to properly formulate a complex-compound sentence--but just makes him look ridiculous to people with the educational level to which he is pretending.  (I believe we established that there is a doctor meeting his initial self-description, but it was never established to my satisfaction that he was, in fact, that doctor.)  And that's even assuming that sentence structure has anything to do with physics.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
The more I read, the more I think, "Mark David Chapman".

Be careful, Jay.  :(
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:44 AM »
His style always made me think of a teen trying to impress.  Big words (that he didn't always understand), gratuitous Shakespeare quotes (that sounded like he was using Barlett's Online).

But the most annoying thing was something shared by a great many people with legitimate credentials in academia.  And that was the inability to figure out what he was trying to say before he set off trying to say it.

(I edited this post three or four times while writing it, each time in a direction Doctor Socks would never go...to make it SHORTER.)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »
His style always made me think of a teen trying to impress.  Big words (that he didn't always understand), gratuitous Shakespeare quotes (that sounded like he was using Barlett's Online).

You know, I once used that very example to explain to a friend why it was obvious that the writers weren't as smart as the character they were writing for on a TV show.  He quoted "my kingdom for a horse" just because he happened to be doing something to do with a horse.  Even she knew that it wasn't something real geniuses would do, and she's not herself a genius. 
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:06 AM »

But the most annoying thing was something shared by a great many people with legitimate credentials in academia.  And that was the inability to figure out what he was trying to say before he set off trying to say it.

(I edited this post three or four times while writing it, each time in a direction Doctor Socks would never go...to make it SHORTER.)

This absolutely.   Someone who is up for impersonating other people online would be quite happy do to that all the way down.  I was never convinced by the doctor thing, he got too much medical stuff wrong.  Someone connected with a hospital perhaps, or a teenage son of a real doctor.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »

This absolutely.   Someone who is up for impersonating other people online would be quite happy do to that all the way down.  I was never convinced by the doctor thing, he got too much medical stuff wrong.  Someone connected with a hospital perhaps, or a teenage son of a real doctor.
DoctorSocks is real, but as far as my investigation went, appears to have been put on enforced leave of some kind. Personally, I favour the "Doc on the Rocks" hypothesis, a breakdown of some sort. I backed off the investigation once mental illness became an aspect, but I could rekindle my contact with various SF clinics.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
DoctorSocks is real, but as far as my investigation went, appears to have been put on enforced leave of some kind. Personally, I favour the "Doc on the Rocks" hypothesis, a breakdown of some sort. I backed off the investigation once mental illness became an aspect, but I could rekindle my contact with various SF clinics.
Interesting - sounds very plasuible from what I've uncovered.  I know who you are hinting at, but may I impertinently ask (pm would be fine), did you find anything that *positively* identified him to be that particular person?  I've seen posts where Drsocks mentioned said person, and also ones where he used said person's name as his online identity..  But that still leaves the (slim) possibility that he is simply pointing readers AT that identity as part of his games.

So I'm wondering if anyone has directly contacted said person to get the confirmation, or verified it in some other way...?

Of course, if he ISN'T said person, then said person needs to be fully informed and take whatever action he sees fit..

Ummm.. did all that make any sense? :D

Offline DJW001

• Mercury
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
Interesting - sounds very plasuible from what I've uncovered.  I know who you are hinting at, but may I impertinently ask (pm would be fine), did you find anything that *positively* identified him to be that particular person?  I've seen posts where Drsocks mentioned said person, and also ones where he used said person's name as his online identity..  But that still leaves the (slim) possibility that he is simply pointing readers AT that identity as part of his games.

So I'm wondering if anyone has directly contacted said person to get the confirmation, or verified it in some other way...?

Of course, if he ISN'T said person, then said person needs to be fully informed and take whatever action he sees fit..

Ummm.. did all that make any sense? :D

Yes, that made sense. I googled the person in question and noticed something interesting. There were three or four pages of internet "yellow pages" listings, then practically nothing. No photo of him and his wife at the Opera's Black & White ball. No announcement that he had been named a trustee at his church. No angry letter to an editor about the rising cost of malpractice insurance. No speech at the rotary club. No daughter being named class valedictorian. No Facebook photo of him at a friend's wedding. Doctors lead carefully managed social lives; they are expected to be "pillars of the community." Outside of playing jazz in his brother's basement, the doctor in question appears to have no social life. (Try googling your own doctor, you'll see immediately what I'm talking about. Mine is prominent in MoveOn.org!)

Oddly, in the one instance of charitable giving I found, he was referred to as "Pat T----," not "Patrick," and no title. Medicine is a discreet profession, fellow doctors tend not to publicize the faults and failures of their colleagues. He may be going through a "rough patch," but has not had his certification pulled. This is speculation, of course.