Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479102 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #645 on: August 13, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
It's hard to argue against that when it comes to their public personae, but even Jack White and Dr. Socks must have had family and friends.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #646 on: August 13, 2013, 02:58:49 AM »
I know someone personally who will better the world by her absence, and her family agrees.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #647 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:10 AM »
It's hard to argue against that when it comes to their public personae, but even Jack White and Dr. Socks must have had family and friends.
I know. I am not trying to dehumanize them, but rather mourning a life that spent so much of itself on vitriolic ignorance and hate.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #648 on: August 13, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
Or at least not accomplishing much of anything.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #649 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
Any USians able to tell me the normal period between death and interment over there? cos Doc Socks was at least two weeks dead before the funeral.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #650 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
Any USians able to tell me the normal period between death and interment over there? cos Doc Socks was at least two weeks dead before the funeral.

That's long.  It's usually a few days.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #651 on: August 13, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

That's long.  It's usually a few days.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a longer wait more normal if there is a reason the body is needed as, say, evidence?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #652 on: August 13, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
Not usually, to my understanding.  Autopsies are done as soon as possible, because some aspects of it can be time-sensitive.  Tissue samples may be preserved, but the body itself is usually released as quickly as possible.  Sometimes, this is not the case, but that's usually if the issues are complicated.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #653 on: August 13, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
A funeral may be delayed a bit longer than usual in some circumstances, such as when a family member is distant and/or difficult to get hold of.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #654 on: August 13, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »
A funeral may be delayed a bit longer than usual in some circumstances, such as when a family member is distant and/or difficult to get hold of.
Puts a new spin (or maybe the original spin) on being told to "go chill." :P

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #655 on: August 26, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
Or at least not accomplishing much of anything.

Yes. I'm sorry for someone who had an obsessive need to keep positing nonsense. He was a doctor, and apparently a talented musician. I wonder what demons prevented that from being enough for him?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Yes. I'm sorry for someone who had an obsessive need to keep positing nonsense. He was a doctor, and apparently a talented musician. I wonder what demons prevented that from being enough for him?

Highly-accomplished people can still suffer an inferiority complex.  Buzz Aldrin is a good example.  Despite an exemplary military career, a stellar academic career, and being the first with Neil Armstrong to set foot on extraterrestrial soil, he still suffered from depression, anxiety, and alcoholism as a result (according to many) of feeling inadequate and unaccomplished.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »
Depression lies to you.  It tells you that you're worthless, that your loved ones don't love you, and that nothing you do is ever good enough.  Bad enough when you really haven't accomplished very much; if you've done truly great things and your brain is still insisting that you have never accomplished anything, it must be very painful.  Because, I mean, what can you do that's good enough?

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #658 on: August 26, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
Depression lies to you.  It tells you that you're worthless, that your loved ones don't love you, and that nothing you do is ever good enough.  Bad enough when you really haven't accomplished very much; if you've done truly great things and your brain is still insisting that you have never accomplished anything, it must be very painful.  Because, I mean, what can you do that's good enough?

I am saving this quote.  I need to read it every day.  Maybe several times a day.  Thanks.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #659 on: August 26, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
You're quite welcome!