Author Topic: Kids say the darnedest things...  (Read 72274 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
This year, there are something like three new kindergartners in our apartment complex, so Simon gets to be the Grand Old Man at the bus.  This may, alas, put a damper on last year's tradition of learning about something in the mornings, since I'm sure the other kids will be more interesting than Mom.  But since kindergarten starts the Monday after the other grades, we did learn some etymology last week, since he's studying Spanish online--I was explaining to him why certain Spanish and English words sound alike.  We now have an in-joke about "a bunch of guys named Norman."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
[Irene, under the blanket]: "Mama, I hiding!"

[me]: "Where did you go?"

[Irene]: "Uh . . . I don't know."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

Slightly off topic, Grandchild number 6 born today. First time I have totally disagreed with a name, my son and his partner have called her Arora? Sorry but why do parents today use these types of names? I am not enthused. Rant over, Arora is lovely, just hope the name grows on me.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
Aurora, I could get behind, but I'm not thrilled with the spelling.

She is awfully cute either way, though!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »
Irene, when asked if she wants things she wants, will often say no, followed by a winsome little, "Yeah, I do!"

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »
Not so much a case of KSTDT, but still worthy of preservation, I think...

= = = =

I was waiting in the Pediatric Emergency Dept with 9YOS (broken arm) with other parents and kids...

Mother to son: Could you get off the phone please?

Two year old son obediently steps off the phone which he'd been using as a stool so he could reach a little further into the pram.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
Hope your son's okay!  Irene had tubes put in her ears this week.

Over on BAUT, there's a discussion about what people wanted to be when they grew up; Simon's response was a despairing, "I keep changing; they're all so good!"

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Hope your son's okay!

Thank you for asking.

Last Friday he fell off school playground equipment and gave himself a buckle fracture of his left radius near the wrist. Two weeks in a half cast. Some pain, but it settled down after a night.

The worst bit was that it happened two days before a classmate's birthday party at a scooter facility, and the doctor said he wasn't allowed to ride. He was filthy about that, and I didn't really blame him for asking to leave the party as soon as he'd had his piece of birthday cake - it was just too much for him to be forced to sit and watch everyone else having fun.

About the only consolation was that nearly every classmate asked him on Monday what had happened, so he got to be the centre of attention...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Yeah, that sounds frustrating.  My older sister got chicken pox (something my kids will not be dealing with!) the week of her second grade class's field trip to the children's museum, and that was probably the worst part of chicken pox for her.  It worked out great for me, though, as our parents took us to the museum during spring break.  It's one of the few non-Disneyland trips with my dad that I remember even a little.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2019, 11:35:50 PM »
From the School of Creative Excuses...

Mummy: Have you written those four dot points from the chapters you read in that book?

12YOS: No. I accidentally read too far, and I was worried that if I wrote any dot points they might be about chapters I wasn't supposed to read.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »
Yesterday, we took the kids with us to vote.  Afterward, I asked Simon if he had any questions about voting, and he wanted to know how you stop being President.  So I decided to explain elections to him, because I didn't feel like getting into impeachment.  Unfortunately, when we got to the last election, he said, "So he got more votes?"  You ever have to try to explain the Electoral College to a six-year-old?

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
Eh...try explaining the parliamentary system to a 12YO, a 9YO and a 6YO with different boredom thresholds.

I sometimes think the 6YOD would vote for any party which had a unicorn for an emblem (or a butterfly).

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
Granddaughter Eva after a short hospital visit. “Mr Taxi driver could you please drive faster. I have to get back to school otherwise my friends will miss me!”
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2019, 08:54:58 PM »
9YOS's half-cast came off today, and was handed back to him by the doctor as a souvenir.

9YOS: I name it...Castie!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Eh...try explaining the parliamentary system to a 12YO, a 9YO and a 6YO with different boredom thresholds.

I sometimes think the 6YOD would vote for any party which had a unicorn for an emblem (or a butterfly).

I believe Simon voted for Trump in his school election three years ago because Trump is funny.  Which . . . yeah.

And your nine-year-old's naming system is not unlike Simon's.  Our car is Vannie.  His toys include Green Dragon, Blue Dragon, and Red Dragon.  He's not going to be allowed to name our house, when we move, and I joke that the girl he proposed to a while back definitely isn't going to marry him, because you could see her thinking about how he'd name the kids.