Author Topic: Xavier Pascal (“hunchedbacked”) ruins Quora.com  (Read 13158 times)

Offline jfb

• Mars
Re: Xavier Pascal (“hunchedbacked”) ruins Quora.com
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
Xavier Pascal has gone to the question/answer site Quora.com.
Now, I know that Xavier Pascal has no valid evidence against the moon landings... but, others don’t know that. He’s turned to “answering” questions people have about the Apollo Program with nothing but his own ignorance and I find this very troubling since it seems people actually started believing him. Fortunately, however, Quora.com is also home to many NASA employees, scientists, engineers, technologists, space enthusiasts, etc. This has put him at odds with many people.
I feel that people should receive actual information about the Apollo Missions and not the poisoning nonsense hunchbacked likes to answer with. I wonder if there’s something we can do or should we just ignore him? https://www.quora.com/profile/Pascal-Xavier

This is a problem with any site that relies upon its membership to be the primary source of knowledge, be it Quora or Stack Overflow or whatever.  Unless they implement and enforce some minimum standard of expertise before anyone can participate, than people like Pascal can put their nonsense out there and have it on the same footing as any actual NASA engineer. 

Frankly, if people want actual information about Apollo, they should start with NASA's web pages and go from there.  If they aren't willing to do that for whatever reason, then they're not really interested in actual information about Apollo.

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
Now, I know that Xavier Pascal has no valid evidence against the moon landings... but, others don’t know that. He’s turned to “answering” questions people have about the Apollo Program with nothing but his own ignorance and I find this very troubling since it seems people actually started believing him. Fortunately, however, Quora.com is also home to many NASA employees, scientists, engineers, technologists, space enthusiasts, etc. This has put him at odds with many people.
I feel that people should receive actual information about the Apollo Missions and not the poisoning nonsense hunchbacked likes to answer with. I wonder if there’s something we can do or should we just ignore him? https://www.quora.com/profile/Pascal-Xavier

This is a problem with any site that relies upon its membership to be the primary source of knowledge, be it Quora or Stack Overflow or whatever.  Unless they implement and enforce some minimum standard of expertise before anyone can participate, than people like Pascal can put their nonsense out there and have it on the same footing as any actual NASA engineer. 

Frankly, if people want actual information about Apollo, they should start with NASA's web pages and go from there.  If they aren't willing to do that for whatever reason, then they're not really interested in actual information about Apollo.
Good point. I just get concerned when people are exposed to hunch’s toxicity outside of YouTube, because it usually ends in the increase of the HB population.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:20:43 PM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
Note that you can downvote and report answers on Quora.com.

One of the reporting options is "Factually Incorrect: Substantially incorrect and/or incorrect primary conclusions" I suggest invoking that on all of Pascal's answers that qualify. Note: not all of his stuff is total garbage, though most of it is. Be selective.

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »
Note that you can downvote and report answers on Quora.com.

One of the reporting options is "Factually Incorrect: Substantially incorrect and/or incorrect primary conclusions" I suggest invoking that on all of Pascal's answers that qualify. Note: not all of his stuff is total garbage, though most of it is. Be selective.
Thank you. I will.
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 12:25:56 AM »

The quality of the answers there are rather depressing

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »

The quality of the answers there are rather depressing

The quality of the questions is more worrying.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
Good point. I just get concerned when people are exposed to hunch’s toxicity outside of YouTube, because it usually ends in the increase of the HB population.

Last gasps.  From what I can tell, hoax belief is dying.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »

Phil and I had this discussion a few months ago.  The Flat-Earthers seem to be the astronomy guffaw of the decade.  However we both noted that these theories tend to come and go cyclically.  By "these theories" I mean conspiracy theories in general.  After they are debunked and lay fallow for a number of years (10-15, we guesstimated), someone else rediscovers them and gives them a new coat of paint.  Bennett and Percy did little more than rejuvenate what Bill Kaysing and Ralph Rene had done a decade previous.  And now we're seeing people pick up Percy et al. as if they were newly discovered.  I may live to see Clavius.org become relevant again, in which case I will definitely have to refresh the 1990s era hand-coded HTML.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »

hold that thought Gillian.

i'm not sure where your based but did anybody here from the UK watch the TV show 'This Morning' on Wednesday. A guy by the name of Martin Kenny who appeared there not too long ago with 2 of his flat earth friends, was on spouting the Moon Landings. he was up against a woman from a university. I haven't watched it but I messaged This Morning and asked if they would be up for a Live TV Debate. I also messaged Martin asking him the same question.

is there anybody here from the UK (I know Jason is) who would be up for a TV show on ITV debating this.

Offline MartinC

• Mercury
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »

i'm not sure where your based but did anybody here from the UK watch the TV show 'This Morning' on Wednesday. A guy by the name of Martin Kenny who appeared there not too long ago with 2 of his flat earth friends, was on spouting the Moon Landings. he was up against a woman from a university. I haven't watched it but I messaged This Morning and asked if they would be up for a Live TV Debate. I also messaged Martin asking him the same question.

is there anybody here from the UK (I know Jason is) who would be up for a TV show on ITV debating this.

It's available on YouTube - not sure if forum rules allow me to post a link - search This Morning and Moon Landings and it will show up. It's a pretty poor piece, the usual uninformed arguments put forward by Kenny with Dr Bosman shaking her head in disbelief. Perhaps more concerning were the results of the online poll that indicated the majority of those responding believe the landings were a hoax. With the 50th Anniversary approaching I just hope we see some quality documentaries about the Apollo programme that will ensure the general public are better informed.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
Hrm. Cycles. I think Moon Hoax may have made a lean towards "Moon Landings were real but what did they find there that they are covering up?" but it doesn't seem to have extended into a full-length lunge.

In psuedoarchaeological circles, the go-to for hyperdiffusionism was "Aliens!" for a while, but in the past decade or so seems to have drifted back into an older and more generalized "gods/demons" sort of thing. This more-or-less paralleling the way UFOs shifted a decade or so before that from physical craft visiting from physical extrasolar planets to immaterial energy beings/spirits from a higher plane.

Flat Earth, on the other hand....the largest remaining collection of Moon Hoax around is just one chocolate in a whole big box of space denialism, science denialism, and the pretty-much required anti-vax, climate change denialism, alternate medicine/homeopathy woo ball.

(Sorry, posting on a full set of meds so expect I'm rambling even worse than usual).

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »

It's available on YouTube - not sure if forum rules allow me to post a link - search This Morning and Moon Landings and it will show up. It's a pretty poor piece, the usual uninformed arguments put forward by Kenny with Dr Bosman shaking her head in disbelief. Perhaps more concerning were the results of the online poll that indicated the majority of those responding believe the landings were a hoax. With the 50th Anniversary approaching I just hope we see some quality documentaries about the Apollo programme that will ensure the general public are better informed.

There’s a new documentary about Apollo 11 that’s been announced.
The release date isn’t known but I’m just happy it exists.
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-072018a-apollo11-documentary-neon-cnnfilms.html

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 03:06:23 AM »

Since UK polls delivered Brexit and "Boaty McBoatface" clearly a late number people in the UK when faced with a poll decide to do a piss take.  I don't think they say anything.  The first reaction of many in the UK people towards the ESA naming competition for the for the ExoMars rover (which has substantial UK contribution) was the same.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »

Count me out. Firstly, there is no 'debate' to be had: these clowns are simply wrong. I'm not about to put myself on to a TV show that will inevitably present it as some even-handed, two-sided issue. Secondly, I wouldn't trust the editors. Thirdly, as the discussions here show, their side is based on asking questions and sowing doubt, and fixing that is much harder in a live TV debate than sitting here with plenty of material to debunk them at my fingertips. The format doesn't support a sensible conclusion.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »

I am but I do keep my ID away from these idiots I’ve got one now desperately trying to find out who I am. I have received various threats from these morons. One person on YouTube (who we partially converted from the dark side) received death threats against himself and his wife, he was the subject of a video with a hangman’s gallows. He got the video removed with a court injunction, but when the threats continued a subsequent action awarded him 15,000 Canadian dollars and an injunction against the perpetrator. 
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)