Author Topic: Apollo 12 and the Surveyor 3 Mystery  (Read 79333 times)

Offline Derek K Willis

• Venus
Re: Apollo 12 and the Surveyor 3 Mystery
« Reply #195 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:40 AM »
Ditto [...] fiction.

Fair enough.  The post I answered seemed to do very little except hope for recognition.  If you consider it an answer to points brought up by others, it's a good enough answer for such a tangential question.

As to the question of money, which others have raised but I have not, I regret it is something we have to address.  Not all who have embarked on publishing claims of fraud have had as altruistic motives as you.  The late Ralph RenĂ© bitterly lamented that the original Aulis hosts David Percy and Mary Bennett had stolen his paying customers.  And Bennett and Percy themselves refused to address questions unless they were sure you had purchased both their book Dark Moon and Percy's accompanying four-hour video.  (Nowadays they don't address critics at all.)  Bart Sibrel charges exorbitant "appearance fees."  And the public tax filings of the company he formed to distribute his hoax videos pulled in $120,000 in yearly revenue at its peak.  Someone close to him told me his hoax claims let him live a lifestyle he would otherwise be quite unable to afford.  So when someone announces he plans to receive money for his efforts attacking the history of space exploration, these are unpleasant questions we have to ask.  Your colleagues don't share your virtue.

If someone has something to say, then surely they should write about it (or use some other medium).

Except that the used-book stores and garage sales are full of unread self-/vanity-published books written by people who clearly thought they had something to say but didn't rightly appreciate whether anyone cared to listen.  In working my way through your article -- which I promise I am doing -- it seems that the things you have to say don't often correspond well with what information is available to be said.  Instead your choice of what to say seems quite selective.  Are you working with a real publisher who can provide professional editors and professional fact-checkers?

I am not responsible for what other people do. If anyone truly believes the Apollo missions were faked and wants to devote his/her life to exposing what went on, then I see nothing wrong in deriving an income from that.

I laughed so much at your last sentence I wonder if it was meant to be ironically humorous. Imagine if I went to a fact-checker and asked him/her to gather all the facts they can on Apollo 11. The first "fact" would be that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the Moon.     

Offline Derek K Willis

• Venus
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2019, 05:22:26 AM »
Derek, how much of your time is being spent arguing here and how much is being spent actually addressing the response you initially requested, which was a rebuttal to your article? Early on in this thread you said you were not going to address anything other than a full response to your article. Please don't think that 'misdirection' is going to work here. I presented you with what you asked for. Deal with it.

You are right. I did say I would focus on Surveyor 3, and I have again allowed myself to be drawn into wider issues. Many of the questions I am being asked now are variations on the same questions I was asked on Unexplained Mysteries. So if anyone wants to trawl through that thread they may well find my responses. For instance, I explained how the dish antenna were most certainly pointed at the Moon, and were sending to and receiving transmissions from the Moon.

I will focus on my responses to the points you made. So please note, if anyone asks me any questions not related to Apollo 12 and Surveyor 3, I won't be answering them. And any questions related to Apollo 12 and Surveyor 3 may well be answered when I respond to the points you made.   

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »
Many of the questions I am being asked now are variations on the same questions I was asked on Unexplained Mysteries. So if anyone wants to trawl through that thread they may well find my responses. For instance, I explained how the dish antenna were most certainly pointed at the Moon, and were sending to and receiving transmissions from the Moon.

IIRC, you didn't answer that particular question. You said something like it was obvious and we should understand... but - IIRC - you didn't answer how it could be done.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
I am not responsible for what other people do.

I didn't say you were.  Knowing how some people are, and being responsible for them being that way, are indeed two different things.  But knowing how some people are might give you ideas.

If anyone truly believes the Apollo missions were faked and wants to devote his/her life to exposing what went on, then I see nothing wrong in deriving an income from that.

I thought you were giving the profits to charity.  Let's keep hypothesizing.  If you wanted to be a published author, and you've already written and self-published a couple of books that didn't do as well as you'd hoped, you might come up with a new strategy.  Knowing that there are gullible people out there who have already fallen for many a titillating tale might give you the idea that you can write a book that doesn't quite tell the story everyone else has told.  You might even purposely fashion it as a dog whistle for the conspiracy crowd.  But of course in order to tell a different story, you have to embellish some aspects of it and leave other aspects out altogether.  For example, you might not choose to tell the reader that there are perfectly good reasons why Apollo 12 made a pinpoint landing.  You might let him keep thinking it's suspicious, because that's the story you know he wants to hear.

Consider your predecessor David Percy back in the 1990s.  He decided that making a living as a photographer and making videos about mind-mapping and such wasn't the life he wanted.  He wrote an article for the Fortean Times arguing that certain things in Apollo photographs couldn't possibly have been the result of real photography on the Moon.  The response raised the roof.  Clearly he was onto something.  It didn't matter that a considerable number of the letters to Fortean Times described how Percy didn't know what he was talking about.  What mattered were the encouraging letters.  From that came the book and the video, whose proceeds pay to run the web site you've published your own little pilot article on.  Oh, Percy knows full well his claims are rubbish in a scientific and photographic sense.  We know this because it took him a while to realize that someone in his position can't bluff his way past most criticism.  He let slip a few things.  And so, eventually, do all such authors.

I do have a moral problem with telling lies and expecting to get paid for it.  And so do most of the people you're talking to here.  Call us paranoid, but the hypothesis I outlined above seems to be the one that governs most of your colleagues, and makes a whole lot more sense that the competing hypothesis of you being a conscientious, persistent seeker after truth.  I don't think you truly believe Apollo was faked.  I haven't yet met a professional conspiracy theorist who did.  And I think you just want to make the rounds of skeptics, demanding exhaustive rebuttals no one cares to write, so you can conjure up the illusion that your claims emerged from criticism intact.

I laughed so much at your last sentence I wonder if it was meant to be ironically humorous.

If you laughed at it, then you've never actually worked for a real publisher.  Yes, they employ professional editors who typically go through two or three drafts of each chapter with you.  They would have the kinds of discussions you're having here with us (and presumably elsewhere).  And yes, if they're going to publish a book that flatly accuses prominent people of fraud, they will definitely want to make sure the claims are at least somewhat defensible in court.  They don't care whether they agree with what you say or not.  They just don't want to get sued.  How do I know that?  Because I've been contracted by publishers to do exactly that kind of work for other authors.  And if you think fact-checkers just casually Google for verification, you have no idea what fact-checking actually entails.

Consider your audience here carefully and ponder whether it's wise to be laughing at the notion of other people checking your work for accuracy.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
Derek:
You have ignored most of my questions So I will bump them up for you.If I missed any, please enumerate.
Now what I asked some time ago and bears repeating, with some new questions.
How do you reconcile the differences in your beliefs with the LRO images of artifacts around the LM approximately 75-100 feet from the LM(given that your "modified" LM with robotic sampler arm would have to unload, place and assemble this distance away). 
How do you reconcile Trails leading from the artifacts and further out to craters surrounding the LM, including the Surveyor 3 lander(you forgot to include in your narrative about robots that walked 20 years before they were developed on the Earth).
How were artifacts from the Surveyor 3 lander returned, analyzed and displayed at the Smithsonian?
How were the pits on the sides facing the LM created in these artifacts? 
Where were images from A11-A12 taken?  How did NASA simulate the atmosphere, Sun and Lunar surface in those images?
How were data observations made on ALSEP devices from A11-A12 captured and transmitted back to the Earth?
Where are the collision calculations between the CSM S-IVB separation, you know I asked two weeks ago on UM and you finally came up with this lame excuse after that amount of time.
Well, I checked the calculations I had been shown and I couldn't find anything wrong with them.

I'm willing to bet that your calculations assumed the mass of the CSM totaled about 30,000 kg. Bear in mind, if the CSM wasn't going to the Moon and back, there wouldn't be need for anything like the full load of propellant. Also, something was added to reduce the acceleration of the S-IVB. After all, you don't want it smashing into the back of the CSM. When you have worked out what was added, do your calculations again. 
Again post these calculations if you have the ability to calculate them.
How do you estimate there is too much dust on the LM from two dimensional images?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »
If you don't know how they faked it, isn't it possible that they didn't and that you're just wrong?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
This is the first information concerning where Derek allegedly "saw" some/all of the material that "John" has in his position.  This material is to be presented to the media on July 20th "is going to blow the lid off the Apollo hoax" or words to that effect. 

Any predictions for July?
- "John" will have been killed and his great material confiscated by NASA&Co
- "John" will have been bribed the MIC
- "John" will have been brainwashed by the MiB
- "John's" material will be some old, long debunked nonsense
- Derek will slink away
- Derek will flounce
- Derek will commit Suicide by Mod
- "John" will really provide something convincing
- Nibiru will finally arrive

I thought of one more: "John" didn't show all the good stuff, saving for a better opportunity.  ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Derek K Willis

• Venus
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
Jay, I am trying not to allow myself to be drawn back in for a while. However, I feel I have to respond to your post.

When I said I see nothing wrong in deriving an income from selling products related to the Moon landings being hoaxed, I was referring to the people you mentioned. What they do is up to themselves. In a similar vein, I do not believe in God, but I have no trouble with people being paid for preaching to people who do believe in God.

I do have a contract with a publisher. I took up writing relatively late. My first fictional effort - a short story called "Yellow Beach" written in 2016 - was selected for publication in the Hemingway Foundation's annual "Hemingway Shorts" collection. That resulted in a number of agents contacting me, and ultimately a publishing contract to write three novels. The first of the novels will be published late-next year. So yes, I know only too well about editors, fact-checkers, and "sensitivity" readers.

Prior to signing the contract I had self-published my novella "Ocean of Storms" and my collection of short stories. I did that for fun and also to learn how the Amazon publishing platform works. I had no expectations whatsoever regarding how successful those books would be. Quite frankly, I had almost forgotten about them.

Writing "Faking Apollo" was not part of any strategy, and certainly not the one you hypothesize. I had no intention of talking with my agent or publisher regarding the book. My intention always was to self-publish.

I decided I didn't want to derive any profit from what I am doing because there is a complex moral issue involved. As I have indicated clearly, I do believe men have walked on the Moon. The basic thrust of what I have been told is that the early missions had to be "faked" to ensure the later missions could take place.

On that basis, I do not consider anyone who was involved to be a "bad person". I look on those people no differently than the people who fight a just war. Consequently, I have no desire to profit from what must have been incredibly difficult moral decisions to make. But I do consider the truth - or what I believe to be the truth - ought to be told.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:49:27 AM by Derek K Willis »

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
...I have been shown how perhaps the greatest trick of the twentieth century was pulled off...

No, you haven't shown how anything was done in your theory.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
Quote from: Derek K Willis link=topic=1642.msg50950#msg50950
But I do consider the truth - or what I believe to be the truth - ought to be told.

And that is why we are here. The truth needs to be defended from those who would seek to promote a lie. If we are to take your version of events st face value, you have been sold a lie and are using the auspices of the aulis website (which I for one consider to be a fundamentally dishonest outfit) to promote that lie.

While you have taken the word of some random stranger as gospel many of the individuals whose integrity and honesty you besmirch are personal acquaintances of members here. The science and engineering involved is their profession. People have put a lot of time, effort and money into defending historical fact against a tide of ill-informed ignorance.

You arrived claiming to seek comments on your article and when given them, or when asked difficult questions, have used cheap misdirection to avoid providing answers. That's not the action of someone defending truth, that's someone avoiding their responsibilities.

If you arrive here and asked for comments here, produce the answers here. Don't tell people to look somewhere else. No-one here will be buying your book - you aren't losing sales by revealing your secrets.

There is only one version of the truth. Yours isn't it.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
I do believe men have walked on the Moon. The basic thrust of what I have been told is that the early missions had to be "faked" to ensure the later missions could take place.

On that basis, I do not consider anyone who was involved to be a "bad person". I look on those people no differently than the people who fight a just war. Consequently, I have no desire to profit from what must have been incredibly difficult moral decisions to make. But I do consider the truth - or what I believe to be the truth - ought to be told.

You already did an article about AP-17 and you've already come to the conclusion that it to was most probably faked as per what you posted back on June 3:

"Apollos 14, 15, and 16 were genuine. My reason for believing they were genuine is that I can find no reasons to suggest they were anything other than genuine."

So the later missions took place successfully. why did they probably fake AP-17(your conclusion)? Jack Schmitt is a pretty dedicated geologist. I think that if he was told AP-17 had a 75% chance of not returning he would have still been all for it. What inconsistencies have you found in any of his performance leading up to being selected as an astronaut and eventually being selected for AP-17 plus his subsequent training and participation in the last Apollo moon landing mission justifies your claim that he is lying about it all? Pretty disgusting behavior by you imho to claim you are only seeking the truth, denigrating people who put their lives at risk for a greater cause, when it's pretty apparent you've come up with some pet theories, much like many hoax promoters, and are simply too full of yourself to admit that your pet theories are flawed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:20:51 PM by mako88sb »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #206 on: June 05, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
Jay, I am trying not to allow myself to be drawn back in for a while.

Yes, you have the response from Jason to address.  He was kind enough to provide the comprehensive rebuttal you demanded.  I'm not so kind.  I'll be doing mine in installments, and the first one drops later today.  See, it occurred to me as I was trying to block out time in my week that a comprehensive, thorough response is what you asked for but expected probably not to actually happen.  You expected it to be such an onerous task (and, truly according to my calendar, it will be) that few if any would take you up on it.  And then you could say, "None of the skeptics I consulted could give me a well-built answer to the challenges I raise in my article."  Your inattention to Jason's response suggests it actually wasn't as important to you as you let on earlier.

In order to earn such devotion and dedication from your critics, you need to prove you're worthy of it.  That includes promptly addressing the comprehensive response you already got, especially after being so "uppity" about it not being immediately forthcoming upon your arrival.  But it also includes convincing your critics that you're serious about getting the facts right.  That's what it takes if your book or article is intended to be a serious contribution to the history of science and exploration.  If all you're doing is writing the typical poorly-researched, poorly-argued hit piece that caters to a sympathetic audience, then a detailed rebuttal isn't worth anyone's time.  You'll just ignore it or pooh-pooh it away on a pretext.

You're being auditioned.

I was referring to the people you mentioned.

I mentioned them because you did.  In talking about who might be interested in your book, you called out 52% of Britons who doubt Apollo was real.  Based on their other expressed opinions, we propose that the sample in that poll are actually probably significantly more gullible as a group than the average Briton.  Those people seem to be your target audience.  You didn't answer my question whether you expected your book to fare well among professional scientists, journalists, historians, engineers, and people who -- by virtue of their previous work -- might be quite familiar with the source material and not quite as eager to take your claims at face value.  Do you plan for your book to survive the critical scrutiny you could expect from them?  Do you think your article does?

In a similar vein, I do not believe in God, but I have no trouble with people being paid for preaching to people who do believe in God.

Sure, I have time for that tangent.  I personally know the clergy of the large Episcopalian church across the street from me.  They often call me to fix and tune their organ, and they invite me to delightful garden parties in the church courtyard.  They don't care that I'm an atheist, and I don't care that they get paid to preach God, because what they preach mostly is pseudo-ethical platitudes with vague, handwaving allusions to the Bible.  They admit happily they aren't sure what God is, or exists in the forms they worship.  Or at all.  Everyone involved in that exercise knows there aren't any verifiable facts about God.  I don't really see any deception there.

But I grew up in America's Bible Belt.  There you see more of the charismatic preachers, the "prosperity gospel" hucksters, and televangelists.  They follow a much different strategy and, as such, attract a much different congregation.  It's more about hype, and the people who participate are the type to be more invigorated by hype.  None of these preachers know much about theology or comparative religion, or feel the need to.  It's not hard to see the ulterior motives and the fleecing of the flock, so to speak.  Yes, for them it's often about the money.  But sometimes it's just about having an adoring congregation who looks up to them.  If you want the preacher analogy to work in your favor, you need to prove you're a real science history minister, not just a pseudo-science televangelist.

And of course the history of Apollo is not theology, not an improvised compromise from ancient superstition or cultural and social patterns.  Unlike preaching God for money, preaching science (or the history of science) for money is connected to actual, verifiable facts.  That changes the moral calculus a fair bit.  It's one thing to preach and write for money about things everyone knows can't be known for sure.  It's another thing to preach and write for money about things that can be known, but which the author chooses to ignore or misinterpret because they don't fit the story he wants to tell.  We can know things about Apollo, and about the sciences and technology that apply to it.  The moral foundation of your argument will depend in large measure on your mastery of it, such that you can represent it accurately and fairly to an audience you've asked to trust you.

So yes, I know only too well about editors, fact-checkers, and "sensitivity" readers.

Oh, really?  So then carefully parse out why you just got done laughing about the notion of fact-checking your Apollo book.

Fiction isn't routinely fact-checked, for the obvious reason that it's fiction.  Fiction is allowed to play fast and loose with facts, even historical ones.  Amadeus, for example, gets almost everything factually wrong about Mozart and Salieri, but still makes for a smashing play.  Why would anyone try to fact-check a collection of fictional short stories?  What would be the point?  Was Ocean of Storms fact-checked?  I read some reviews on Goodreads.  Your book got mixed reviews there, but that's not my point.  Among the bad reviews, there was a common thread:  the criticism that you didn't do your homework, and therefore got the science and technology wrong.  Apparently your errors were egregious enough to be a distraction.  So I have a hard time believing Ocean of Storms was competently fact-checked, and in the larger sense, that you have any meaningful experience with professional fact-checking.

Also, if prominent criticism of your novel focuses on your ignorance of the technical issues involved in exploring the Moon, then why should any reader trust that you are competent to investigate a real-life mission and to defensibly arrive at a provocative conclusion about it?  As Gillianren notes, isn't it more parsimonious to conclude that you're just wrong?

Writing "Faking Apollo" was not part of any strategy, and certainly not the one you hypothesize.

I don't believe you.  Prove it.

My intention always was to self-publish.

So let's summarize.  This is to be your first published non-fiction book.  As a published author, you know how publishers work, and ostensibly why.  Your near-future science fiction is -- according to other purported authors in the field -- riddled with technical errors and inaccuracies.  But you don't seem to be planning to employ editors and fact-checkers that reputable publishers would use.  In fact, you dismiss the the prospect as somehow ludicrous.  You seem to be aiming your book at people who are already predisposed to believe what it claims.  How does the most parsimonious interpretation of those facts point to you being a serious author on the subject?  How does it not point more rationally to you trying to paste a pseudo-scientific veneer on a well-known conspiracy theory?

This is why I don't believe you.  I require you to prove that you're a serious author before I commit hours of my time to trying to correct your errors.

I decided I didn't want to derive any profit from what I am doing because there is a complex moral issue involved.

But you're waffling.  One the one hand you're saying there's no moral issue with selling people something you know they want to hear, regardless of its truthfulness.  But then on the other hand you tell us you plan to give your profit to charity because personal enrichment from such a book is morally fraught.  Well, is it fraught or not?  You've given me arguments on both sides of the issue, and I'm not going to agree to be your fact-checker until I have a better idea of what you see as your moral obligations here.

Here's a less complex moral question.  Do you have a moral obligation to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?  Private authors such as Kluger, Burroughs, Chaikin, Murray, and Cox (to name some illustrious few) have all expended many years of effort researching the details of Apollo 12 and other missions from primary sources.  Their preparation is evident in their writing.  Yet they seem to have missed a fair amount of what you deem suspicious about Apollo 12.  Is your suspicion based on a more whole truth than theirs?  An honest truth, without embellishment, insinuation, or speculation masquerading as fact?

The basic thrust of what I have been told is that the early missions had to be "faked" to ensure the later missions could take place.

And you're not the first to suggest this.  To people well acquainted with the source material -- which you evidently are not -- that claim fails for a fairly obvious reason.  Can you guess what it is?  Further, you already dismissed Apollo 17 as fake, and accept the other J-missions only because you say you haven't yet found anything you can point to as fake.  The facts of your behavior and statements don't mesh with what you're telling us your data are.

On that basis, I do not consider anyone who was involved to be a "bad person".

Well, for starters you're calling Al Bean a liar.  I single him out because I've met him.  Have you?  Since you seem to like tap-dancing through complex moral issues, explain how you can publicly accuse him of a prominent lie and not realize that equates to a value judgment of him and his character.  If your claim is true, several people still living today would be guilty of some fairly serious Federal felonies.  Can you explain how you can accuse people of felonies without saying they fit the definition of a felon?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
And I would think that aeronautical engineers who have been jet jockeys fro 20+ years after graduating from universities might forget the nuances of fluid dynamics not practiced/used during those 20 years.  So yes they may have speculated(remember my post on UM) that the dust went over the S3 lander, That speculation was wrong as examination of the parts returned proved.You haven't addressed my questions and I would like a solid answer not hand waving an magician treatise.

But certainly address Jason's spot on analysis of your paper.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Derek K Willis

• Venus
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
Jay, I didn't join ApolloHoax to talk about my works of fiction. However, the rule seems to be that if someone brings up a subject then it is fair game to discuss. Someone linked to my book "Ocean of Storms", and now you have discussed the book so I feel it okay to ask a question.

Can you please direct me to the reviews on Goodreads which, as you say, point out I didn't do my homework and got the science and technology so wrong the errors became a distraction? I haven't looked at Goodreads in a couple of years and I am having difficulty finding the reviews.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
Jay, I didn't join ApolloHoax to talk about my works of fiction.

I consider them relevant principally because you claim that having published them gives you experience with the editing and fact-checking process of professional writing.  It's still unclear what your attitude on fact-checking is, and whether you plan to do it for your non-fiction Apollo book.

Can you please direct me to the reviews on Goodreads which, as you say, point out I didn't do my homework...

Well, here's where I eat some crow.

Here's your book, which tells the story of near-future Chinese astronauts on the Moon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32878654-ocean-of-storms

Now here's the other book called Ocean of Storms that deals with near-future Chinese astronauts on the Moon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38724898-ocean-of-storms

The reviews I described were for the other book, not yours.  I apologize for my carelessness and I withdraw the accusation that your fiction has been said to be inadequately researched.

I do, however, press the expectation that you will tell us what you're doing to assure us that your non-fiction will be properly researched and vetted.  And I asked you several other questions that don't have to do with your fiction.  If you're not here to discuss your fiction, and you accept my apology for inadvertently maligning yours, will you kindly favor me with those answers?